Re: New file uploaded to APBR_analysis

  • mikel_ind
    Message 1 of 77 , Jan 10, 2002

      > Stoudamire is an interesting case. Based on my numbers, Stoudamire
      > always was mediocre. He scored a lot in Toronto but did it
      > inefficiently.
      > Dean Oliver
      > Journal of Basketball Studies

      Stoudamire wasn't so bad in TO, not quite an all-star, but the key to
      respectability for the Raps for 2 seasons. Here is his career
      briefly, according to me ('standardized rates').

      . . . .min pct. sco reb ast

      96 Tor 41 .521 16.8 4.1 8.6
      97 Tor 41 .508 18.5 4.1 8.4
      98 Tor 41 .507 16.6 4.2 7.6
      98 Por 37 .462 11.9 4.0 8.9
      99 Por 33 .457 13.5 3.8 7.4
      00 Por 30 .504 15.3 3.9 6.4
      01 Por 32 .513 15.5 4.5 6.8
      02 Por 36 .502 12.8 4.0 8.6

      His Toronto subcareer looked like an upcoming Isiah Thomas, but
      apparently things didn't go well, and he went to Portland and became,
      uh, Rod Strickland?

      The plunge in shooting efficiency, and coincident loss of shots and
      minutes, upon going to Portland, might mean the Blazers traded for
      this scorer and put handcuffs on his shooting hand; or, his shot went
      missing, and he was subsequently told not to shoot.

      There is a definite inverse correlation between his scoring and his
      assists, in Portland, though they seem to add up to about the same
      total each year (adjusting for minutes).

      Personally, I think it says a lot about a player if, when asked, he
      can average 20 points. It seems the weaker teams need these guys,
      and the game needs these guys.

      It also says a lot if a guy can become the role player, and subdue
      his appetite for scoring. I can't think of a good reason why a guy's
      shooting pct should plunge 50 points when he isn't the go-to guy. If
      anything, being more selective should boost one's efficiency. But
      then, there is something called "scorer's mentality".

      It may be a coaching flaw, or bad team chemistry, both suspects in
      the Blazers' case.

      . . . Mike Goodman
    • APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
      Message 77 of 77 , May 5, 2005
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the APBR_analysis
        group.

        File : /Warriors Stats.pdf
        Uploaded by : skauffman <skauffman@...>
        Description : Analysis of the Golden State Warriors 2004-05 Season

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        skauffman <skauffman@...>