Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: New file uploaded to APBR_analysis

    Message 1 of 77 , Jan 7, 2002
      On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, dlirag wrote:

      > I agree. In your example, it's unlikely that Stoudamire became a much
      > worse player after he joined the Blazers. His change in role
      > contributed to the changes in his stats. In addition to this, I think
      > under-utilization of Stoudamire also significantly accounts for the
      > changes.

      This is another perpetual difficulty of sports statistics: to what extent
      can we measure "ability" vs "performance"? You're undoubtedly correct
      that Stoudamire's abilities did not change very much in one year. But the
      circumstances, and thus his performance did change.

      To a certain extent that's all right, we want to have some statistics
      which measure performance. E.g. to decide who should be MVP and who
      should be all-stars.

      But there are other times, e.g. when contemplating or evaluating trades,
      when we would like to measure the inherent ability of a player, not his
      actual (and therefore subject to random fluctuation) performance.

      To measure performance is highly challenging; to measure ability even more
      so.

      Other examples: Jordan missed most of a season early in his career with
      an injury. Obviously his cumulative stats were not very good that year,
      because he played I think not even one fourth of the season. With stats
      like that, he certainly didn't deserve all-pro recognition, nor did he get
      it. And one could argue I suppose that his "ability" did decrease that
      year. But in a more relevant sense, he was the same Air Jordan all along,
      he came back as good as ever the next season, and so though his
      performance suffered when he got injured, I think it would be best to
      say that his underlying ability stayed the same. But how does one measure
      or show that with statistics? (In Jordan's case there's the easy way out:
      in his post-injury seasons he continued on his merry way to superstardom,
      with only that one-year blip caused by injury. But suppose Stoudamire had
      played with Portland from the beginning, and not had those standout
      seasons with Toronto? How would we be able to measure his true abilities?
      Or suppose players such as Dale Ellis and Detlef Schrempf had not been
      able to escape the prison of the Dallas Mavs bench, and never became
      all-star level players with Seattle and Indiana?)

      --MKT
    • APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
      Message 77 of 77 , May 5, 2005
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the APBR_analysis
        group.

        File : /Warriors Stats.pdf
        Uploaded by : skauffman <skauffman@...>
        Description : Analysis of the Golden State Warriors 2004-05 Season

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        skauffman <skauffman@...>