Re: Major Update of WINVAL Ratings Through 2003-04

  • tajallie@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 17 , May 5, 2004
      Dan,

      Having been one of the defenders of limiting the value of garbage
      time credit, count me as one who really doesn't care rather you have
      a zero value for garbage time or some minimum value (in other words
      you wouldn't hear me screaming if you added a minimum value). While I
      agree there should probably be some value for performing well when
      you team is down by 25 pts in the fourth, the truth is that if you
      are performing well enough to matter, you will play more non-garbage
      minutes. . .I think it would be fine to give some value but I don't
      think it hurts to give none.

      Mike/Bob:

      Andre Miller this season

      Jump
      62% .376
      Close
      36% .607
      Dunk
      1% .800
      Tips
      1% .714
      Inside
      38% .612

      Last season

      Jump
      74% .369
      Close
      26% .557
      Dunk
      0% .667
      Tips
      0% .667
      Inside
      26% .560

      To me, this would seem to bear out that Denver does have better
      spacing and that playing with a very active big man like Camby,
      instead of low post player like Brand, along with a wing that often
      demands a double-team like 'Melo could easily be the reason for
      Miller's improvement. I suspect if you charted where he got his
      points from, you would find offensive rebounding due to 'Melo double
      teams and more focus on Camby, Nene resulted in more flexibity for
      Andre to crash the boards (rather than actual drives, in which case
      we would expect the close shots to maintain a 56% instead of
      improving to 61% although it could just be deviation noise).

      BTW: Despite the stats, I think it was a toss-up between
      Miller, 'Melo, and Camby for Denver's MVP as all three were clearly
      more important than everyone else. Basically against any good team,
      Denver needed to have two of those three play well to win.
      Furthermore, Miller is probably the best position / technical
      rebounder on the team (i.e. he understands when and where to crash
      the boards and how to box out better than any other Nugget . .I
      beleive those benefits are underated by both the stats and perception
      of value).