Re: New file uploaded to APBR_analysis

  • dlirag
    Message 1 of 77 , Jan 4, 2002
      My observations/questions-

      1. He does seem to criticize linear weights, but I think he meant to
      criticize specific formulas such as Heeren's and Bellotti's for their
      lack of empirical evidence. Afterwards, he does propose a model of
      linear measurement.

      2. As far as I can tell, he then uses certain statistical tests to
      try to show how this linear model fits the data better than the Cobb-
      Douglas model. Does anyone know of other similar tests? I'm guessing
      that there are some other formulas that test a proposed model like
      this.

      3. Assuming his statistical tests are sound, he seems to demonstrate
      that his linear model is better than the Cobb-Douglas framework. In
      page 3, he seems to associate the latter with the idea that the value
      of a given stat depends on a team's other statistics. Did he intend
      to debunk this idea or just the Cobb-Douglas model that was
      associated with it? It seems to me that Berri's linear concept
      doesn't seem compatible with the concept of player performances being
      interdependent with team performance. For example, wouldn't Iverson's
      misses have more negative value if he were on a team with lousy
      offensive rebounding?

      4. I noticed in the team tempo equation that FG attempts are weighted
      more heavily than FT attempts by a ratio close to that found in Dr.
      Oliver's team possession formula. Is this notable?

      5. Berri's solution to the apparent statistical bias towards big
      players doesn't seem to fit well with the rest of his theory. It's
      hard for me to explain my unease since I don't have rigorous training
      in statistics, but I feel that his framework seems to render such
      adjustments unnecessary. For all I know, his model could really be
      saying that big players are a lot more valuable than smaller players
      (He writes about big players getting more rebounds and the smaller
      guards getting more turnovers in his section on positional
      adjustments). If so, maybe this suggests a deficiency in the
      statistics we keep, a flaw in his model, or that big players really
      are much better.

      6. I don't know if this is one of the formula's intended functions,
      but what does the formula say about the performance of the San
      Antonio Spurs in the season when David Robinson had that long absence
      due to injury?

      7. Do the parentheses around some numbers mean that they're negative?
      I'm having trouble with the figures in Tables 6-8.

      8. The paper deals with "wins producers." What might a study on "loss
      producers," given this framework, yield?

    • APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
      Message 77 of 77 , May 5, 2005
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the APBR_analysis
        group.

        File : /Warriors Stats.pdf
        Uploaded by : skauffman <skauffman@...>
        Description : Analysis of the Golden State Warriors 2004-05 Season

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        skauffman <skauffman@...>