Re: The most important stat that nobody seems to use! (PER differential)

  • mrintp2000
    Message 1 of 34 , May 3, 2004
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Farkas <gabefark@y...> wrote:

      > "2) I disagree that it doesn't matter if you have an
      > offensive or defensive team. Team chemistry and a
      > cohesive strategy are pretty important in my book.
      > Just look at the Pistons: everyone knows their role
      > and they play team D."

      Calling a team offensive or defensive is kind of silly if you think
      about it. Every team is both. The point is to win which means scoring
      more than your opponent. What does it matter if you win 100-90 or
      70-63? The Pistons are a very good team because they have a bunch of
      guys who outplay the man guarding them.

      One stat I also like to look at is how many shots a guy takes vs. the
      man guarding him. For example Brian Cardinal takes .2 shots less per
      48 minutes than the man guarding him.
      http://www.82games.com/03GSW11C.HTM

      Earl Boykins takes 6.8 more shots per 48 minutes than the man guarding
      him.
      http://www.82games.com/03DEN2C.HTM

      So when building a team it is important to be sure that guys can take
      the number of shots they like to take. Five Earl Boykins type guys
      with field goal attempts wouldn't work. But this is a relatively
      simple proposition and doesn't involve characterizing a team as
      offensive or defensive. Optimally you'd want great offense and great
      defense, like the Bulls used to have.

    • Daniel Dickey
      Message 34 of 34 , May 7, 2004
        >From: "mrintp2000" <shzys@...>
        >To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [APBR_analysis] The most important stat that nobody seems to use!
        >(PER differential)
        >Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 23:11:09 -0000
        >
        >I've read a lot of the discussion about the PER and many people seem
        >to correctly regard it as the best way to measure a players
        >production. But even better, is to measure a player production vs. his
        >opposing player. This way, defense is correctly valued by the stats
        >without an overemphasis on creating defensive stats that don't exist
        >or overvaluing unimportant stats. Allow me to illustrate with an
        >example...

        Isn't zone played some in the NBA? Don't players play a variety of matchups
        in a game?

        Isn't it often hard to classify what position a player really plays (let
        alone the position he defends)?

        Don't get me wrong - the PER differential can give SOME insight. But we
        need to remember the limitations.

        I can promise you that Reggie Miller's low opposing SG PER can be greatly
        attributed to Ron Artest (and maybe a few others). That's the type of thing
        I'm talking about.

        Dan D.