Re: The most important stat that nobody seems to use! (PER differential)

  • mrintp2000
    Message 1 of 34 , May 3, 2004

      > "The arbitrary nature of assigning "position" to players makes this
      > sort of "differential" computation suspect. A poor-defending player
      > will switch off on a poor-scoring player, at any level of play."

      This is the main weakness, but I believe it is minimized by looking at
      total-season stats.

      > > The other problem with PER differential is the team nature of
      > > defense. ...
      >
      > I would bet that ALL frontcourt players for Detroit have pretty good
      > PER-diff., even if they aren't good defenders. Ben and Rasheed
      > don't just cover their man, but anyone in the paint."

      Another good point, I will look closely to see if overall team defense
      or a great individual team member has much of an impact on a teammates
      per diff. Off the top of my head I can tell you that Steve Francis
      still has a negative PER despite the good defense of some of his
      teammates.
    • Daniel Dickey
      Message 34 of 34 , May 7, 2004
        >From: "mrintp2000" <shzys@...>
        >To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [APBR_analysis] The most important stat that nobody seems to use!
        >(PER differential)
        >Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 23:11:09 -0000
        >
        >I've read a lot of the discussion about the PER and many people seem
        >to correctly regard it as the best way to measure a players
        >production. But even better, is to measure a player production vs. his
        >opposing player. This way, defense is correctly valued by the stats
        >without an overemphasis on creating defensive stats that don't exist
        >or overvaluing unimportant stats. Allow me to illustrate with an
        >example...

        Isn't zone played some in the NBA? Don't players play a variety of matchups
        in a game?

        Isn't it often hard to classify what position a player really plays (let
        alone the position he defends)?

        Don't get me wrong - the PER differential can give SOME insight. But we
        need to remember the limitations.

        I can promise you that Reggie Miller's low opposing SG PER can be greatly
        attributed to Ron Artest (and maybe a few others). That's the type of thing
        I'm talking about.

        Dan D.