Re: The most important stat that nobody seems to use! (PER differential)

  • mrintp2000
    Message 1 of 34 , May 3, 2004
      ---
      You make a good point. Reggie Miller's PER Diff looks surprisingly
      good for such an old player. I expect Artest deserves some of that
      credit because he will guard the 2 if he happens to be the better
      offensive player.

      In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Tamada" <tamada@o...> wrote:

> [...]
    • Daniel Dickey
      Message 34 of 34 , May 7, 2004
        >From: "mrintp2000" <shzys@...>
        >To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [APBR_analysis] The most important stat that nobody seems to use!
        >(PER differential)
        >Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 23:11:09 -0000
        >
        >I've read a lot of the discussion about the PER and many people seem
        >to correctly regard it as the best way to measure a players
        >production. But even better, is to measure a player production vs. his
        >opposing player. This way, defense is correctly valued by the stats
        >without an overemphasis on creating defensive stats that don't exist
        >or overvaluing unimportant stats. Allow me to illustrate with an
        >example...

        Isn't zone played some in the NBA? Don't players play a variety of matchups
        in a game?

        Isn't it often hard to classify what position a player really plays (let
        alone the position he defends)?

        Don't get me wrong - the PER differential can give SOME insight. But we
        need to remember the limitations.

        I can promise you that Reggie Miller's low opposing SG PER can be greatly
        attributed to Ron Artest (and maybe a few others). That's the type of thing
        I'm talking about.

        Dan D.