Re: [APBR_analysis] Pacers-Celtics synopsis

  • Gabe Farkas
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2004
      i'm impressed with Al Harrington. he got less press
      than Tayshaun Prince did last year in his breakout
      series, but seems to have put up better numbers.

    • tajallie@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27, 2004
        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Farkas <gabefark@y...>
        wrote:
        > i'm impressed with Al Harrington. he got less press
        > than Tayshaun Prince did last year in his breakout
        > series, but seems to have put up better numbers.

        But Prince played in a competitive series and Harrington played
        against a lottery team. Indiana probably could have played their
        second string and still won the series, might have taken them an
        extra game, maybe. Makes a big difference to the press and
        realistically, means alot more when the competition is better.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2004
          Wasn't Prince's breakout series against Orlando, the
          8th seed?

        • tajallie@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 27, 2004
            wrote:
            > Wasn't Prince's breakout series against Orlando, the
            > 8th seed?

            Orlando went up 3-1 in the series (T-Mac famous, "we're going to the
            second round" quote) and Prince was matched up against McGrady in his
            break-out year. Very competitive series, much better team as well.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 28, 2004
              --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, tajallie@h... wrote:
              > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Farkas <gabefark@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > i'm impressed with Al Harrington. he got less press
              > > than Tayshaun Prince did last year in his breakout
              > > series, but seems to have put up better numbers.
              > >

              > But Prince played in a competitive series and Harrington played
              > against a lottery team. Indiana probably could have played their
              > second string and still won the series, ...
              > realistically, means alot more when the competition is better.

              No, it wasn't a competitive series. That's because the Pacers
              dominated them, this time around. Last year, they didn't.

              Indiana's 2nd string -- notably Al Harrington -- looked better in
              their minutes than Boston's lineups. That is essentially what I
              posted, in words and in numbers.

              It sounds as if you're saying that when team A dominates team B --
              necessarily making team B look bad in the process -- team A's
              dominance is overstated because team B played badly.

              I realize the Celtics were the worst team in the playoffs this
              year. But they couldn't even muster a single close game, out of 4.

              The members of the Pacers who overachieved have their
              accomplishments documented in their stats.
            • tajallie@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 28, 2004
                "It sounds as if you're saying that when team A dominates team B --
                necessarily making team B look bad in the process -- team A's
                dominance is overstated because team B played badly."

                No, what I said was TEAM B was BAD, very bad so how can we tell how
                good one Team A's player was compared to previous year situation
                where where the losing team was much better. If Golden State or the
                Clippers had played Boston, the Celts still would have looked bad.
                More interesting will be to see how Harrington does against a legit
                playoff team.