Re: Kidd v. KJ and comparing eras

  • msg_53@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 8, 2001
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Robert Bradley <bradleyrd13@y...> wrote:
      > Now who's better - Paul Westphal or Dennis Johnson? Talk about
      > complete opposites....

      For their careers:
      Westphal: sco 20.8, reb 2.5, ast 5.6, stl 1.7, TO 3.2, blk .4
      DJohnson: 14.4 4.3 5.2 1.5 2.6 .7

      regular season totals: Westphal 29.9, DJ 25.4
      playoff totals: Westphal 25.8, DJ 25.7

      Westphal was the more skilled player in general.
      Dennis Johnson played better under pressure and against greater
      competition.

      I rate DJ #66 alltime, Westphal #120

      > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Robert Bradley
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 8, 2001
        > For their careers:
        > Westphal: sco 20.8, reb 2.5, ast 5.6, stl 1.7, TO 3.2, blk .4
        > DJohnson: 14.4 4.3 5.2 1.5 2.6 .7
        >
        > regular season totals: Westphal 29.9, DJ 25.4
        > playoff totals: Westphal 25.8, DJ 25.7
        >
        > Westphal was the more skilled player in general.
        > Dennis Johnson played better under pressure and against greater
        > competition.
        >
        > I rate DJ #66 alltime, Westphal #120

        Johnson of course enjoyed a much longer period of productivity and was
        far superior defensively, Westphal was as good offensively as Maravich
        an Gervin in the late 70s when he was playing in Phoenix before his
        foot problems began.

        An interesting trade - Westphal, the great offensive player, for
        Johnson the great defensive player. Obviously Phoenix got the better
        of the deal with Westphal's injury in Seattle, but up to that point I'd
        consider Westy superior.

        Did your alltime rating take into account longevity or team W-L record?
        (just curious)

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 8, 2001
          To all who wonder: Mike Goodman's alltime rankings, based on
          statistics compiled since 1952, are based on standardized per-game
          averages, career totals, per-minute averages, and playoff performance.