Re: Update to Tendex with Forced Misses and Forced TO's

  • mikel_ind
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
      Missed shots and missed shot opportunities, from defensive pressure
      of all kinds, can be factored into any player's production rating, by
      taking the ratio of his team's points allowed and a historic average
      (or any other arbitrary standard).

      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "dlirag" <dlirag@h...> wrote:
      > In that case, I'd expect people to value forced TO's as much as
      they
      > do steals. A few, though, might say that a steal has more fast
      break
      > potential than most kinds of forced TO's, making forced TO's
      slightly
      > less valuable than steals. Forcing a miss might be roughly as good
      as
      > blocking a shot, but I'm not sure about this one. I think people
      will
      > agree more about the similar value of steals and forced TO's than
      > they will about blocks and forced misses. As for how these things
      > would be factored, I agree that they will be added on to most
      Tendex
      > formulas in a straightforward manner. Doug Steele might do a little
      > more with them, though, considering that he has four types of
      Tendex
      > equations.
      >
      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "HoopStudies" <deano@r...> wrote:
      > >
      > > If we started collecting forced misses and forced turnovers by
      > > players in addition to blocks and steals, how would the standard
      > > tendex formula be updated? Would they simply be added on? That
      > > seems like the logical thing to me. Any other ideas?
      > >
      > > If I managed to get that info for last year, I'd be curious how
      it
      > > would change the rankings of players.
      > >
      > > Dean Oliver
      > > Journal of Basketball Studies

      I still don't know what 'standard Tendex' is, but I do have to wonder
      how one could possibly collect 'forced misses and forced turnovers',
      and particularly I doubt these quantities could be assigned to
      individuals.
      Rather, the team defensive strength just naturally contains these
      features, and is reflected quite readily in 'points-per-game allowed'.

      When your team manages to allow only 90% of a given standard of
      points allowed, your own scoring should be factored by 100/90,
      relative to that standard.

      Mike Goodman