Blocking shots vs. forcing misses

  • dlirag@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2004
      In terms of measuring a player's defensive performance, should these
      two have the same value or should one be bigger than the other?
    • Stephen Greenwell
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12, 2004
        In terms of measuring a player's defensive performance, should these
        two have the same value or should one be bigger than the other?

        I'm not a mathematician, so this is simply coming off the top of my head, but I would think that a block would be more valuable than forcing a miss.  From casual observation, a block more often leads to possession for the defense, or even to a fastbreak.  Even if the numbers dispel this (I'm not sure if they do or don't), a missed shot can reset the shot clock, while a block doesn't.  That alone would make a block more valuable in my mind.

        Stephen Greenwell