RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: Thoughts on reducing the number of charges

  • Daniel Dickey
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8, 2004
      I still thiink it is COMPLETELY ABSURD that the defender has to fall to the
      ground to have a charge called. That is a REAL problem. When the defender
      falls (possibly even "flops") - it endangers both players.

      I play city league ball (as many of you). I'm 6'2" 270lbs. I play center.
      Often "athletic" players like to drive half hazardly into the lane. Often
      you can see it coming a mile away - I establish my position a few feet from
      the basket - they drive past the defender and run smack dab into me - as
      istand there with my arms stright up. I'm always called for the foul -
      because I won't "flop". Refs have told me that I won't get the call if I
      don't hit the ground - which is sad. Can you imagine if it was the other
      way - and the defender could initiate contact at impunity - and would only
      be called for a foul if the offensive player is knocked over?

      Also - when was the last time you saw a defender jump straight up - the
      offensive player initiates contact - and an offensive foul is called, as it
      should be. IF the offensive player initiates contact into a player that as
      jumped straight up - that is an OFFENSIVE FOUL. It's never called that way.

      Dan