Re: Kemp/McIlvaine (was Article from _The Economist_)

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Farkas <gabefark@y...> wrote:
      > don't forget also: McIllvaine, Jim. ie, the contract
      > that ruined Shawn Kemp.

      I have found out since writing Basketball on Paper that the supposed
      contract that ruined Shawn Kemp -- that was a fallacy. Kemp's
      contract was still making him more money than McIlvaine. The rumor
      that McIlvaine's contract was bigger than Kemp's was started by a
      reporter who didn't do the right homework. Shawn apparently did still
      want more money and was already starting to have some of the other
      problems reported later on about him. I apologize for perpetuating
      the rumor in the book.

      Author, Basketball on Paper
      http://www.basketballonpaper.com
      "Dean Oliver looks at basketball with a fresh perspective. If you
      want a new way to analyze the game, this book is for you. You'll
      never watch a game the same way again. We use his stuff and it helps
      us." Yvan Kelly, Scout, Seattle Sonics
    • Kevin Pelton
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
        > I have found out since writing Basketball on Paper that the
        > supposed contract that ruined Shawn Kemp -- that was a fallacy.
        > Kemp's contract was still making him more money than McIlvaine.
        > The rumor that McIlvaine's contract was bigger than Kemp's was
        > started by a reporter who didn't do the right homework. Shawn
        > apparently did still want more money and was already starting to
        > have some of the other problems reported later on about him. I
        > apologize for perpetuating the rumor in the book.

        It even goes beyond that. If you want to blame McIlvaine for all of
        Kemp's unhappiness, you have to explain away the fact that Kemp held
        out of training camp briefly into 1994 -- a mere two years before
        McIlvaine was signed.

        Not to mention I'm pretty certain that McIlvaine wasn't the
        anonymous source who told Peter Vecsey that Kemp was an alcoholic,
        which I believe to have been the straw that broke the camel's back
        on Kemp's Sonics career. Nobody will ever convince me that it
        doesn't all eventually trace back to George Karl, because, well,
        everything during that time went back to Karl eventually.
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8, 2004