Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Article from _The Economist_; yes it's about basketba...

  • Gabe Farkas
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2004
      my guess is that he'll go through a similar hype and
      courting process that Marc Jackson (the tall one, not
      the 2nd-all-time-assists one) went through a few years
      ago, but in the end not be valued that much.

    • Stephen Greenwell
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2004
        my guess is that he'll go through a similar hype and
        courting process that Marc Jackson (the tall one, not
        the 2nd-all-time-assists one) went through a few years
        ago, but in the end not be valued that much.

        I'm not sure if their situations are completely similar, excluding that they both played for the Warriors.  Jackson signed an offer sheet with the Rockets, but the Warriors matched it and then refused to trade him.  As a result, he pouted, arrived to camp out of shape, languished on the bench while management ordered Winters (or whatever Replacement Coach A they had at they time) not to play him, and then was traded to the Timberwolves for Dean Garrett or Cherokee Parks or Sean Rooks (or some other scrub third string center) and a second round pick.

        In that situation, it was clear that Jackson and the Warriors mishandled the situation; Jackson for whining and thus curtailing his ability to actually get dealt, and the Warriors for continually annoying, stalling on deals, and finally getting little in return for who at one time was a Rookie of the Year candidate.

        In Dampier's case, it seems more likely that teams will view this last year as a fluke, since as others have noted it's a career year at age 29.  However, since he's a center and breathing, some team will take the chance and give him several million a year for the next couple of years.  See: Olowakandi, Michael and Amacechi, John.

        Stephen Greenwell
      • Gabe Farkas
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
          don't forget also: McIllvaine, Jim. ie, the contract
          that ruined Shawn Kemp.

          anyway, my point of comparison was that both were
          having good/great years that came out of nowhere, and
          both were considered flukes.

          --- Stephen Greenwell <sgre6768@...>
          wrote:

          ---------------------------------
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
            Dampier had 2 straight 20-rebound games, and a recent rebounding
            tear that coincided with an 8-1 streak by the team.

            He's ended his season as he started it, with a relative lull in the
            middle. Is it a fluke season because he's 29 and should be peaking?

            What should define a Fluke Season? A subsequent season that is not
            as strong? Or a next-season that is a reversion to his career
            average?

            I'm curious what people would care to predict about whether these
            players are having Fluke Seasons. We might define it as whether
            next year they've reverted more than halfway back to their career
            norms.

            Lamar Odom
            Brian Cardinal
            Raja Bell
            Erick Dampier
            Donyell Marshall
            Jim Jackson
            Antonio Daniels
            Joe Johnson
            Fred Hoiberg
            Sam Cassell
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
              --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Farkas <gabefark@y...> wrote:
              > don't forget also: McIllvaine, Jim. ie, the contract
              > that ruined Shawn Kemp.

              I have found out since writing Basketball on Paper that the supposed
              contract that ruined Shawn Kemp -- that was a fallacy. Kemp's
              contract was still making him more money than McIlvaine. The rumor
              that McIlvaine's contract was bigger than Kemp's was started by a
              reporter who didn't do the right homework. Shawn apparently did still
              want more money and was already starting to have some of the other
              problems reported later on about him. I apologize for perpetuating
              the rumor in the book.

              Author, Basketball on Paper
              http://www.basketballonpaper.com
              "Dean Oliver looks at basketball with a fresh perspective. If you
              want a new way to analyze the game, this book is for you. You'll
              never watch a game the same way again. We use his stuff and it helps
              us." Yvan Kelly, Scout, Seattle Sonics
            • Kevin Pelton
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
                > I have found out since writing Basketball on Paper that the
                > supposed contract that ruined Shawn Kemp -- that was a fallacy.
                > Kemp's contract was still making him more money than McIlvaine.
                > The rumor that McIlvaine's contract was bigger than Kemp's was
                > started by a reporter who didn't do the right homework. Shawn
                > apparently did still want more money and was already starting to
                > have some of the other problems reported later on about him. I
                > apologize for perpetuating the rumor in the book.

                It even goes beyond that. If you want to blame McIlvaine for all of
                Kemp's unhappiness, you have to explain away the fact that Kemp held
                out of training camp briefly into 1994 -- a mere two years before
                McIlvaine was signed.

                Not to mention I'm pretty certain that McIlvaine wasn't the
                anonymous source who told Peter Vecsey that Kemp was an alcoholic,
                which I believe to have been the straw that broke the camel's back
                on Kemp's Sonics career. Nobody will ever convince me that it
                doesn't all eventually trace back to George Karl, because, well,
                everything during that time went back to Karl eventually.
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8, 2004
                  >my guess is that he'll go through a similar hype and
                  >courting process that Marc Jackson (the tall one, not
                  >the 2nd-all-time-assists one) went through a few years
                  >ago, but in the end not be valued that much.

                  Didn't Dampier go through that already, after his
                  semi-breakout 1998 season? Have a promising season,
                  get courted, sign a big contract?