Re: qAST in DeanO's equation?

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
      <edkupfer@r...> wrote:
> [...]

      Correct.

      > Have fun with that.

      Uh, yeah. Not a fun equation to derive or apply. It took me years to
      sit down and get motivated to get it right. But getting that right
      made a lot of things work better. Basically, I try to make sure that
      the sum of individual possessions and scoring possessions equal the
      team numbers (or come close without bias). But using simpler versions
      of this formula end up biased, giving fewer possessions (if I recall
      correctly) than it should. The approximation to it that is shown in
      the book hasn't been tested a lot because I don't have to. It's all
      well programmed these days.

      Author, Basketball on Paper
      http://www.basketballonpaper.com
      "Oliver goes beyond stats to dissect what it takes to win. His breezy
      style makes for enjoyable reading, but there are plenty of points of
      wisdom as well. This book can be appreciated by fans, players,
      coaches and executives, but more importantly it can be used as a text
      book for all these groups. You are sure to learn something you didn't
      know about basketball here." Pete Palmer, co-author, Hidden Game of
      Baseball and Hidden Game of Football