Re: Ref bias

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      <edkupfer@r...> wrote:
      ...> Especially interesting to me is the decrease in palming
      calls. ...

      I tuned in some NCAA action and was horrified.

      Recently someone posted that palming is allowed when 'no advantage
      is gained'. OK, I hate that enough; but if consistency can be
      followed, I'll live with it.

      So this guy is dribbling away some clock, and palming it blatantly,
      right in front of the referee. Once the ref is sufficiently
      hypnotized, the dribbler stops his dribble, shuffles both feet
      (travelling?) -- and then recontinues his dribble, blowing past his
      defender.

      Well, advantage was gained, he palmed, and/or he travelled.

      But NO -- by recontinuing the dribble, the travel was cancelled.

      The ref was consistent in allowing the palming.

      The commentators had no comment, as nothing had happened out of the
      ordinary.

      Ay yi yi