qAST in DeanO's equation?

  • nickouli5
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2004
      What does it stand for exactly? How does it work in the equation? I
      can't seem to find it in the book (Floor %/scoring equations page,
      #150).

      Can someone tell me exactly what that qAST portions of th equation
      mean? Total assists?

      Thanks
    • igor eduardo küpfer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2004
        > What does it stand for exactly? How does it work in the equation? I
        > can't seem to find it in the book (Floor %/scoring equations page,
        > #150).
        >
        > Can someone tell me exactly what that qAST portions of th equation
        > mean? Total assists?

        No, it's the proportion of a player's shots which are assisted (I think).
        Full description on p 344, in Appendix I.

        Have fun with that.

        ed
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
          <edkupfer@r...> wrote:
> [...]

          Correct.

          > Have fun with that.

          Uh, yeah. Not a fun equation to derive or apply. It took me years to
          sit down and get motivated to get it right. But getting that right
          made a lot of things work better. Basically, I try to make sure that
          the sum of individual possessions and scoring possessions equal the
          team numbers (or come close without bias). But using simpler versions
          of this formula end up biased, giving fewer possessions (if I recall
          correctly) than it should. The approximation to it that is shown in
          the book hasn't been tested a lot because I don't have to. It's all
          well programmed these days.

          Author, Basketball on Paper
          http://www.basketballonpaper.com
          "Oliver goes beyond stats to dissect what it takes to win. His breezy
          style makes for enjoyable reading, but there are plenty of points of
          wisdom as well. This book can be appreciated by fans, players,
          coaches and executives, but more importantly it can be used as a text
          book for all these groups. You are sure to learn something you didn't
          know about basketball here." Pete Palmer, co-author, Hidden Game of
          Baseball and Hidden Game of Football