Ref bias

  • igor eduardo küpfer
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2004
      The subject line is just a tease, I don't have anything to say about ref
      inconsistency. Yet. But Mark Cuban has posted some interesting numbers on
      NBA refs this season:

      http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/3341359613624458/

      Especially interesting to me is the decrease in palming calls. Techs are up
      7% since the AS break -- things are getting testy out there.
      --

      ed
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
        <edkupfer@r...> wrote:
        ...> Especially interesting to me is the decrease in palming
        calls. ...

        I tuned in some NCAA action and was horrified.

        Recently someone posted that palming is allowed when 'no advantage
        is gained'. OK, I hate that enough; but if consistency can be
        followed, I'll live with it.

        So this guy is dribbling away some clock, and palming it blatantly,
        right in front of the referee. Once the ref is sufficiently
        hypnotized, the dribbler stops his dribble, shuffles both feet
        (travelling?) -- and then recontinues his dribble, blowing past his
        defender.

        Well, advantage was gained, he palmed, and/or he travelled.

        But NO -- by recontinuing the dribble, the travel was cancelled.

        The ref was consistent in allowing the palming.

        The commentators had no comment, as nothing had happened out of the
        ordinary.

        Ay yi yi