Re: Four Factors of Team Stats?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2004
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, sultanoswat@y... wrote:
      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...>
      > wrote:
      > > > Let me frame it one other way. From a team standpoint the value of
      > > > the four factors are
      > > >
      > > > 1. Shooting % (10)
      > > > 2. Turnovers (6)
      > > > 3. Offensive rebounding (5)
      > > > 4. Getting to the line (3)..."
      > > >
      > > Sorry, the numbers in parentheses are the relative value of those
      > > things. The values were established by looking at team stats over a
      > > lot of games to see how they affected winning, a multistep process
      > > that would take some time to describe. Establishing those things as
      > > the four factors was easy. Just look at any possession formula and
      > > those are the components in it, whatever the slight difference in
      > > weights are between formulas.
      >
      > So how exactly can those numbers be used?

      No time to get into now, but they're pretty useful. Look at
      http://www.bballmania.com/ under Columns/Xs and Os (in a funky Java
      menu). That has a bit more detail.

      Author, Basketball on Paper
      http://www.basketballonpaper.com
      "Basketball on Paper is a revolutionary strike for statistical
      analysis of the game of basketball..." Hoopsworld.com's Kevin Pelton