Re: The Problem with Possessions-Based Linear Weights

  • dan_t_rosenbaum
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 30, 2004
      I think wimpds has a point here.

      If a particular player with limited offensive skills tends to play
      at times when his teammates shoot more poorly (because they are in
      essence playing 4 on 5) than their WINVAL ratings suggest they
      should, that player would end up with more offensive rebounding
      opportunities than a typical player.

      But let's suppose a guy is on the floor for 80 possessions in 40
      minutes and he drops his team's shooting percentage down 5
      percentage points (a pretty big drop). I would assume that would
      result in about three to five extra offensive rebounding
      opportunities for this player and if he collects 10 percent of those
      extra rebounds, this amounts to 0.3 to 0.5 extra offensive rebounds
      per 40 minutes. Not trivial, but also not a huge difference.

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "wimpds" <wimpds@y...> wrote:
      > But if teammates are more likely to miss shots when they play with
      you
      > than when they play with other players, that will depress your
      WinVal
      > rating, right? If this attribute is correlated with individual
      > offensive rebounding, won't it have a negative effect on the value
      of
      > the coefficent?
      >
      > On the defensive side, we only have a few variables to contribute
      > significantly to your WinVal rating. [I'd be interested in seeing
      > regressions run separately on the offensive and defensive WinVal
      > ratings.] Defensive Rebounds coefficient might be picking up
      > something more than simply rebounding ability, it could be getting
      at
      > defense somewhat more generally.
      >

      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Tamada"
      <tamada@o...>
      > wrote:
      > > It's a good thought, although the regression should already
      > > account for this by already measuring the impact of
      > > opponents missing shots and one's team missing shots.
      > >

      > > --MKT

      Linear
      > > Weights
      > >

      > > Another thought on this subject ( though I may not be thinking
      through
      > > the regression carefully enough) is that offensive rebounds are
      > > probably correlated with having teammates missing shots while
      > > defensive rebounds are correlated with the opponent missing
      shots.
      > > This effect would seem to be even stronger if your teammates are
      more
      > > likely to miss because you're not attracting any defensive
      attention.

      > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "carlos12155"
      > > <carlosmanuel@b...> wrote:
      > > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G" <msg_53@h...>

      > did
      > > > >

      > > > That was exactly my intention. It seemed to me that if
      offensive
      > > > rebounds are at some level a negative, Rodman performance
      would be the
      > > > perfect example; after all that was the only thing he did on
      offense.

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • dan_t_rosenbaum
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 30, 2004