Overpaying for free agents

  • Brought to you by Kelloggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2004
      Hi all,

      Nice group you have here. Lots of interesting discussions.

      I'm an advanced ph.d. student in economics at UVA. I've had some
      ideas about how to estimate demand for NBA free agents. (It isn't so
      easy as looking at players' performance ratings; the team's other
      pieces also have to be taken into account, and doing that properly
      isn't as obvious as it might sound. In academic parlance, there is
      an assignment problem in the market for NBA players.)

      Measuring players' values would have two purposes: it would be
      interesting to identify which players are the most overpaid or
      underappreciated, and it would provide an objective "fair-market"
      price for free agents. Additionally, it isn't so hard to imagine
      forward-thinking NBA agents or general managers being willing to pay
      for rigorous, objective statistical analysis to gain insight into
      their annual summer swap meet.

      Unfortunately, working on my dissertation is my first priority right
      now, which is why I haven't carried out the project yet. But if
      someone here is interested in coauthoring something on the topic,
      please contact me.

      Ken Wilbur
      wilbur@...