Re: Isiah Thomas PER Rating?

  • nickouli5
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2004
      What kind of index are you using for this, TENDEX?
    • Daniel Dickey
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28, 2004
        I've always thought that John should include some team defense factor - as a
        larger extension of the pace factor. Isiah would have rated better then at
        least.

        >From: "Mike G" <msg_53@...>
        >To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [APBR_analysis] Re: Isiah Thomas PER Rating?
        >Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:27:57 -0000
        >
        >--- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "nickouli5" <NikoTMP@g...>
        >wrote:
        > > In looking at John Hollinger's PER ratings, I noticed in 1988-89,
        >the
        > > year the Pistons won the title Isiah Thomas was barely Top 15 in
        >the
        > > PER ratings for PG's. How is that possible considering a player
        >of
        > > his calibur? You figure a bonafide Top 3-4 PG of the 80s would
        >rank
        > > higher. Why is it he ranked so low?
        >
        >I think JohnH docks players quite a bit for turnovers, and for low
        >FG%. If he also gives relatively little credit for assists, then
        >Isiah is a mediocre commodity who just takes lots of shots.
        >
        >Isiah flourished in allstar games and playoff games. The 1990
        >Finals MVP, he looked like the superstar many thought he was.
        >
        >I never credited him with superstar status. And in '89, he was over
        >the hill -- but not by much.
        >
        >Here's Isiah's yearly 'index' and his rank among ALL guards,
        >according to me:
        >
        >1983
        >36.6 Magic Johnson
        >34.7 Sidney Moncrief
        >31.7 George Gervin
        >31.1 Gus Williams
        >30.1 Walter Davis
        >29.4 Isiah Thomas
        >
        >1984
        >37.5 Magic Johnson
        >32.9 Isiah Thomas
        >32.1 Sidney Moncrief
        >30.2 Rolando Blackman
        >
        >1985
        >39.9 *Michael Jordan
        >38.3 Magic Johnson
        >35.5 Isiah Thomas
        >32.3 Sidney Moncrief
        >31.7 MichaelRay Richardson
        >30.4 *Clyde Drexler
        >
        >* listed as G-F, in my source
        >
        >1986
        >38.3 Magic Johnson
        >36.6 Michael Jordan
        >33.1 Isiah Thomas
        >32.0 Derek Smith
        >31.5 Sidney Moncrief
        >31.0 *Clyde Drexler
        >
        >1987
        >46.4 Michael Jordan
        >43.5 Magic Johnson
        >33.1 Lafayette Lever
        >32.6 Clyde Drexler
        >31.2 Isiah Thomas
        >31.2 Sleepy Floyd
        >31.1 Glenn Rivers
        >
        >1988
        >49.9 Michael Jordan
        >37.9 Magic Johnson
        >37.5 Clyde Drexler
        >37.4 John Stockton
        >32.7 Lafayette Lever
        >32.1 Glenn Rivers
        >30.8 Byron Scott
        >30.1 Isiah Thomas
        >
        >1989
        >50.0 Michael Jordan
> [...]

        Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms � all in one place at MSN Money!
        http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp