ROY?

  • lilnemoinslumber
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2001
      OK its almost been a quarter of the season. Almost anybody got a
      favorite for rookie of the year yet?

      I only ask because it seems no one paid attention last year until it
      was time to vote. Then again, there weren't very many obvious choices.

      Here are a few notes and baubles.

      Week one and everyone and their mother has crowned Joe Johnson ROY. I
      like him, steady, defensive minded, passes the ball. Seems to have
      faded as of late.

      Since then Tinsley & Parker have been thrust into the upper echelon
      not just of rookie candidates, but of the league. Triple doubles, 20+
      assist games, and replacing incumbent veterans will do that for you.

      And then we have my pick...
      Pau Gasol.
      Pau Gasol?!
      I know.

      He may play on a bad team but someone has to produce right?
      Here's a little food for thought. Aside from playing for one of the
      worst teams in the league; he leads his team and all rookies in
      scoring, is tops in rookie RPG, is top ten in blocked shots in the
      league and is top 20 in FTA. IN FTA! He's shot more FTs than Jordan,
      how is that? Okay, 4 more ATT than Jordan. But you see my point.
      So Pau is my dark horse.
      It's a long season though. It should be interesting to see who "pan's
      out" this year.

      Anyone else got any favorites?
    • mikel_ind
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2001
        Who is Zeljco Rebraca?

        A rookie center for the Detroit Pistons, I have him atop all rookies
        in productivity.

        Here are some standardized rates:

        Min Pct Sco Reb Ast Stl Blk Total
        Rebraca Det 16 .580 19.0 9.5 1.4 .9 2.1 31.4
        Gasol Mem 32 .541 17.2 7.4 2.3 .6 2.5 29.0
        Tinsley Ind 32 .458 11.1 4.4 10.1 2.1 .9 29.0
        Parker SA 29 .522 15.6 4.1 5.7 1.7 .2 27.2
        Kirilenko Uta 21 .505 11.8 8.9 1.4 1.6 2.4 25.8
        J Richardson GS 25 .462 12.8 6.1 4.1 1.7 .6 25.3
        J Johnson Bos 31 .537 13.1 5.3 3.4 1.2 .3 24.1
        Battier Mem 39 .525 13.3 4.6 2.8 1.7 1.1 23.2
        Murphy GS 16 .497 11.5 9.0 1.6 1.5 .9 22.9
        Claxton Phl 31 .535 13.9 2.8 4.7 1.4 .2 22.3
        R Jefferson NJ 22 .464 12.5 5.8 2.4 .5 1.3 22.0
        Hassell Chi 27 .582 14.6 4.6 1.4 .5 .9 21.2
        Marks Mia 19 .521 11.6 8.0 1.0 .3 1.2 20.5

        By the way, my 'standardized' numbers might find some use here, owing
        to the wide variation in minutes played, which depends largely on
        the 'depth' of a given team.

        (These are projections of a player's production in 36 minutes for an
        average team).

        Last year's top rookie, in my system, was Marc Jackson at 25.8,
        followed by Kenyon Martin (25.0). Mike Miller was 22.5.

        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "lilnemoinslumber" <lilnemoinslumber@y...>