Re: Steamroller Shaq

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2004
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "carlos12155"
      <carlosmanuel@b...> wrote:
      > My perception is that, because of the increasing brutality of post
      > play, players who in the past might have been centers, now play
      power
      > forward.

      Good point. In earlier eras, Duncan and Garnett are centers. Also,
      the guys who often play the position but "prefer" to be PF:
      Jermaine, Ben Wallace; and other big-enough guys like Brand and
      Webber.

      Voila'; you have plenty of allstar-quality centers.

      Still, I can't see Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, Daugherty, Smits,
      Mutombo, Mourning -- all playing forward today.

      The average weight of centers as gone up certainly; now
      > unless a guy weighs above 260 pounds he is not a "real center".
      > So maybe there is a limit on how many agile 280 pounds guys really
      > exist?

      My source also lists Kareem at 225 lbs. Mike T says his guide shows
      267, which is believable.

      Proportionally, a 7-2 225-lb. guy looks like a 6-0 guy who is 132
      lb !

      > This seems to be a relatively recent change; in the mid nineties
      > there was no shortage of centers but being extra large wasn't
      > considered a necessity. Guys like Hakeem didn't had matchup
      problems
      > then. ¿Is this a real change? ¿What is the cause?

      My only logical recourse is that they just don't make 'em like that
      any more. Big and agile, that is. Hakeem and others would not have
      matchup problems today.

      Since Shaq has been in the league (11 years now), youngsters across
      the nation have had to wonder what it's like to go up against him.
      Would such a prospect encourage a 6'6" 13-year-old to learn footwork
      for the post?