Re: water under the bridge

  • carlos12155
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2004
      Here's a suggestion Joe.
      I have a "home made" ratings system and a few weeks ago decided to
      see if I could verify his accuracy. I made an "offensive only" rating
      and applied it to teams rather than individuals. Then compared the
      results with the teams Offensive Efficiency (Pts./Poss.).
      Well, the rating followed Off.Eff. reasonably closely. Some teams
      ratings differed from their Off.Eff.(probably because my ratings are
      not very good) but the best teams ranked higher and the worse lower.
      I know that your system can't do this (at least with the adjustments
      for position), but why don't you try to take away the position
      adjustments and give it a try. It should show if the weights are
      seriously screwed up.

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <myviewonthis@y...> wrote:

      > > Being 4 days behind isn't THAT outdated ;) You'e been tweaking
      > quite
      > > quickly.
      >
      > true. i thought i'd been patient enough with several earlier
      replies
      > but i will try to use this as a lession to keep being patient.
      >
      > I do
      > > challenge you to show when I have been "just wrong" with any of
      the
      > points I
      > > make.
      >
      > i won't take it because i dont want to slip back into it again.
      the
      > posts are there but it is all water under the bridge now.
      >

      > > Finally - you mentioned my circular reasoning earlier - how I
      > thought your
      > > system double hurt smaller guys - THEN I didn't like the method
      of
      > how you
      > > rewarded those little guys. I know it looks as though I was
      gonna
      > criticize
      > > no matter what, but I think you misinterpreted my point. Here it
      > is in a
      > > nutshell:
      > >
      > > I feel as though people need to try to make their systems as
      > objective as
      > > possible. This means just use the stats - and make it make sense
      > in various
      > > scenerios. I never have liked when people (including myself -
      I've