Re: The Value of an Idea

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 12, 2004
      I disagree on his defense -- I think he and Howard are the only guys
      on that team that play any (and Jamison may be the worst defender in
      the league). But sometimes Nelly plays Walker at small forward, and
      he can't guard those guys. His role has been reduced in the past
      month or so as Howard and Daniels have come along, but he still
      strangely leads the team in minutes.

      > BUT:
      >
      > -- They provide an indication of relative value. Other things being
      equal,
      > I'd rather have Michael Finley (PER 18.38) than Carmelo Anthony
      (17.36). Other
      > things aren't equal since Anthony's only 19, but you get the point.
      >
      > -- They pretty easily point out sub-optimal player usage. I can
      summarize
      > with one number the oft-asked question of why the hell is Brian
      Cardinal (19.01)
      > still backing up Clifford Robinson (11.00)?
      >
      > i certainly can't think of any intangibles for why they play
      clifford over
      > cardinal either... what's your (or anyone's) take on why dallas
      gives antoine
      > walker major minutes? i for the life of me can't see why he gets
      the playing
      > time he does. his scoring FG% is over 3 percentage points below the
      league
      > average, his touches/min is high (1.35 touches/min) such that he
      takes touches away
      > from both nowitzki and finley, he never gets to the line (which is
      actually
      > good because he can't hit them anyway), and his defense is poor.
      he's a decent