Re: more on "under "and "over" rated in new performance rankings

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 66 , Mar 7 6:39 PM
      i would nominate iverson as most overated. but the new formula puts
      him at about the 11th best guard behind mcgrady, bryant, redd, allen,
      kidd, finley, pierce, cassell, bibby and baron davis. maybe on
      talent he'd be a little higher but based on stats and his poor
      shooting it doesnt seem far off.

      cassell may be one of the underappreciate but under new formula he
      moves up to 25th. second ranked among point guards after top ranked
      kidd.

      marbury seems rated about right to me at low to mid 30's . -1 on
      court plus/minus at 82 games. 5th among points behind baron davis and
      barely behind andre miller.

      brad miller overall game looks like he deserves his ranking. 3rd
      among center behine shaq and yao.

      boozer and kenny thomas rank surprisingly high and might be overrated
      as 6th and 14th best best power forwards respectively but not by
      much. my new version of the performance formula sustains their
      ranking.

      dampier improved his. ranked as 4th best center, a little ahead of
      camby, ilgauskas. magliore. that doesnt seem inappropriate.

      as for overrating big men, underrating smaller players i plead
      guilty. i think good bigmen are more valuable good perimeter
      players.
    • nickouli5
      Message 66 of 66 , Mar 23 3:33 PM
        I will agree that Manu has been gambling since about mid-season when
        he moved to the bench more than he did in the beggining of the season
        (in fact much more).

        I actually thought he cut down on the gambling A LOT from last
        season, but there was a game in New Orleans, when he came off the
        bench and did it at a crucial point of the game and might have been a
        huge reason the Spurs lost the game. He usually never made those
        type of mistakes down the stretch of games.

        Either way, I think he is generally a very solid defender. Even
        though he gambles a bit these days, he still creates a lot of
        turnovers via charges and steals.

        And about 2001, I know Bowen was not around. But I was trying to
        kind of hint towards the TWIN TOWER approach maybe being the primary
        reason an SG/SF always is in the top TENDEX defensive ratings since
        2001 (maybe even before that) if we were to check.

        If Bowen is the reason for the SG's being held so low, then why is
        the SG production PER at a net positive at +2.5? And negative at the
        SF position (or was once close to it)? He certainly doesn't put up
        LARGE PER and Turkoglu altough is scoring more these days and
        grabbing rebounds, I would have to assume Manu, Turk, AND Bowen are
        all playing solid defense. If there is any weakness in the D its
        with Parker slightly, and even MORE SO at the backup PG position for
        the Spurs.

        Of course the two 7 footer approach helps them all become a little
        more risky etc..... But I don't see how Manu and Hedo cannot being
        doing solid defensively, when the PER, defensive ratings are solid
        across the board? Isn't it safe to conclude the Spurs are getting
        reasonable production on both ends with the THREE MAN ROTATIOn at the
        SG and SF? And the reason the SF might be low is solely because of
        Bowens lack of scoring at times?