further performance rating notes

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2004
      rev pr is the revised performance rating
      rev rank is the revised performance rank

      shaq moves up to #4 in regular season calculation.
      top 5 is close to the same but high pace beneficiary / poor defense
      stokajovic slips to 12th. ming rises to 6th benefiting from per
      minute indexing (he is playing only 32.5). karl malone rises for his
      efficent use of smaller minutes (also about 32 per). boozer,
      wallace, martin, wallace benefit from applying the defensive weight,
      especially rasheed wallace who unless their is an error in 82 games
      data should be a candidate for defensive player of theyear with his
      strong def. rating.) notwiski and mcgrady are hurt because of porous
      defense and properly so. shawn marion falls out of the top 25 because
      of poor defense. kidd moves up from 25th to 19 partly due to his
      passing and defense rating but his high minutes (almost 38 pg)
      slightly offset the gain. if it was based on nonadjusted minutes, he
      would be about 10% higher rated and would be very close to top8-10
      players in league. which seems about right for him. in only 30% of
      the cases do these ranking vary from john holinger per ratings by
      more than 5 slots. that isnt too dissimilar.
    • ffsbasketball
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2004
        > especially rasheed wallace who unless their is an error in 82
        games
        > data should be a candidate for defensive player of theyear with
        his
        > strong def. rating.)

        Had to respond to this, as this sounds rather wrong. Not sure where
        you got this from. 82games.com lists nowhere that Rasheed is a good
        defensive player, you sure you didn't get him mixed up with the
        other Wallace on Detroit? The one that's actually a good defender?
        Not saying Sheed is that bad on defense, he does have a fairly good
        defensive reputation around the league from what I've heard, but on
        Portland his opponents shot better than .500 eFG% against him, and
        as a team Portland's opponents shot 2% better with him on the floor.

        On Detroit his opponents are still shooting better than .470 eFG%
        against him, and although Detroit's opponents apparently shoot 5.5%
        worse while Sheed is on the floor, I would say this mostly has to do
        with him playing only 275 minutes and him playing in a great
        defensive unit. And not to say he doesn't deserve some credit for
        that shift, once again he's not a half bad defender, but he's
        nowhere near a defensive POY candidate and doesn't have any kind of
        strong defensive rating in the recent article published by
        82games.com.
      • Joe
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2004
          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "ffsbasketball"
          <jayhawk1919@m...> wrote:
          > > especially rasheed wallace who unless their is an error in 82
          > games
          > > data should be a candidate for defensive player of theyear with
          > his
          > > strong def. rating.)
          >
          > Had to respond to this, as this sounds rather wrong. Not sure
          where
          > you got this from. 82games.com lists nowhere that Rasheed is a
          good
          > defensive player, you sure you didn't get him mixed up with the
          > other Wallace on Detroit? The one that's actually a good
          defender?
          > Not saying Sheed is that bad on defense, he does have a fairly good
          > defensive reputation around the league from what I've heard, but on
          > Portland his opponents shot better than .500 eFG% against him, and
          > as a team Portland's opponents shot 2% better with him on the floor.
          >
          > On Detroit his opponents are still shooting better than .470 eFG%
          > against him, and although Detroit's opponents apparently shoot 5.5%
          > worse while Sheed is on the floor, I would say this mostly has to
          do
          > with him playing only 275 minutes and him playing in a great
          > defensive unit. And not to say he doesn't deserve some credit for
          > that shift, once again he's not a half bad defender, but he's
          > nowhere near a defensive POY candidate and doesn't have any kind of
          > strong defensive rating in the recent article published by
          > 82games.com.

          response: DEFENSE RATING FOR RASHEED WALLACE ON THE DETROIT LIST ON
          82 GAMES IS 77.6 (LOWER IS BETTER). ben wallace is 86.1. maybe 82
          games mixed them up but i reported them as they wrote them. i
          suggested there might be an error because i was surprised by the very
          low number for rasheed.

          but you are right to suggest looking back to portland. i thought
          rasheed's value was cumulative but apparently it is not. on the
          portland list his floor time statistics defensive rating is 93.4. i
          guess rasheed's detroit number is either flat listed wrong or is low
          based on a very few games. i will change his defensive rating back
          to the portland number for the time being. thanks for the feedback.
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2004
            Rasheed is a quality defender at power forward, but actually
            struggled on D in Portland when he was asked to play small forward
            and was getting beaten by smaller, quicker players. The Blazers were
            one of the worst defensive teams in the league at the time of the
            trade.