two more factors not in performance ratings

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2004
      i should have added that i havent tried to capture defense
      intangibles. reputation is subjective and frequently dated or
      wrong. how and what to incorporate it in a linear weight system?
      the promise of development of better data on defense would perhaps
      allow for inclusion of one or two weights for defensive stops/FG%
      allowed. that might be enough to supplement the existing weights for
      defensive acts (def reb, steal, block, etc.). or if 82 games broke
      out Opponent Production by player not just Position for all stats
      categories you could give every player a truly fair half offense
      rating, half defense rating by using the exact same performance
      formula you use on offense for the opponent rather than try to add
      those one or two extra weights to the offensive focused rating of our
      player.

      also, i explain the failure of my and most systems to pass the shaq
      at #1 or laugh test because these performance ratings are based on
      regular season data and give a regular season rating. shaq's
      undisputed crown as #1 is now only really #1 in playoff basketball.
      in this regular season he isnt statistically the best. but if you
      turned to last year's playoff data, the formula probably would kick
      out #1 ranking for him.

      actually i decided to run that data and kevin garnet just barely nips
      shag in 02-03 playff performance rating. 29.04 for garnett, 28.64
      for shaq. here is my top 20 from that dataset:

      garnett,kevin 29.04
      o'neal,shaquille28.64
      duncan,tim 28.51
      o'neal,jermaine 26.47