reply on 82data

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2004
      i agree that the 82games data is to be appreciated and it is very
      life in its life. i agree with your statement that support and
      suggestions should be the main response from here. i merely was
      hoping that more information about sources could fully lay to rest
      any questions about them (since i've heard this natural internet
      skepticism at this group and in other message boards) and would
      actually help the site by increasing confidence and letting use of
      site data move forward on a firm foundation. but i meant no offense
      and i assume that the data is responsibly offered. the fact that
      several people have seen the minute by minute detail relieves my
      initial wonder if some of the data might have been based on player
      data from sample games or otherwise imputed.
    • Kevin Pelton
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2004
        I'm sure you've already read this, but let me reiterate that the
        most appropriate way to validate 82games.com's data, as with
        anything else, is to check it against an independent source. Plenty
        of this data is available elsewhere, and if I had the time or really
        cared about the issue, I'd check it out.

        Harvey Pollack's Statistical Yearbook -- at least this year's
        edition -- might be a good place to start. Since we know Roland
        doesn't calculate +/- quite the way we think of it, there will
        certainly be discrepancies there, but we should found similar things
        in terms of shot distribution and other such metrics. I'm sure I'm
        not the only with Harvey's book.

        Here's a link I've posted before where a guy I know wrote a program
        to parse data from NBA.com's play-by-plays:
        http://hammer.prohosting.com/~dragomil/nba/xstats.htm

        Unfortunately, it's not complete for last season, but I know Ansu
        Sesay didn't play any games after it was last updated, so his
        numbers could easily be compared to what 82games.com has -- this
        tracks many of the same categories, like shooting percentage by
        distance, assisted field goals, etc.

        The numbers to check Roland's work are out there ... if you're
        willing to put in the work, start there. *shurg*