Re: [APBR_analysis] Tendex rebuttal

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2001
      On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, McKibbin, Stuart wrote:

      > Another double counting problem, although it doesn't occur near as often as
      > the one Michael points out, is that offensive fouls are counted as both a TO
      > (-1) and a PF (-1) by the scorekeepers, so that one action is worth two
      > possessions. That's one reason why I'm also charting offensive fouls.

      Actually, this one could be an example of good double-counting. Or at
      least not so bad. Because an offensive foul truly is a foul (and a bad
      thing) and a turnover (another bad thing).

      On the other hand, as fouls go, OFs are not as bad as loose ball or
      defensive fouls, because they do not count as team fouls. And as
      turnovers go, OFs are not as bad as the kind of turnover that was caused
      by the opponent getting a steal, because the fast break potential for the
      opponent is practically nil.

      So I think the value of an off. foul is intermediate. Worse than -1 but
      not as bad as the combined total of an average TO and average PF.