Re: stats to keep track of

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2001
      > I also agree that recording of steals is pretty haphazard. I
      follow
      > the game on the internet as I score it and there are always a few
      > calls that I just don't understand. Sometimes a guy not even in
      the
      > play will get a steal. That's the worst. I do think that steals
      are
      > often poorly awarded, too. The guy on the ball often forces a bad
      > pass through pressure, then the guy who picks off the pass was
      > terribly out of position but gets the steal.
      >
      > Blocks are another one that I question.

      Last night, the Raptors "set a record" for blocks with 24. Pretty
      dubious record. Dave Cowens expressed some doubt, too:

      ``Maybe some of the layups that we missed were so bad that they gave
      them a block. I don't know, 24 blocks, that's a lot of blocks.''

      I've definitely seen many cases where guys are awarded blocks when
      someone does simply miss badly. That's what makes efforts at scoring
      the games, like what Stuart is doing or I've tried to do with the
      defensive stuff, particularly hard. Whereas baseball scoring is slow
      and not controversial, basketball is fast and the official scorers
      make some interesting decisions.