Re: Yao's Conditioning?

  • wimpds
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
      This might be a dumb question, but why wouldn't an opposing coach
      just create those matchups every chance they get? Then they could
      play the whole game without Yao Ming.

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
        I've never seen Yao play; but it stands to reason that he's somewhat
        effective for a few minutes of "chasing guys around", and less
        effective as his minutes progress.

        Apparently, coach has noticed a downturn in his effectiveness after
        20-30 minutes.

        Meanwhile, Maurice Taylor is vying for 6th-Man of the year. Yao,
        Cato, and Taylor are effectively splitting 2 positions.

      • Gary Collard
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
          wimpds wrote:

          > Can somebody explain why Yao Ming doesn't play more minutes?

          Not to mention get more touches...

          --
          Gary Collard
          SABR-L Moderator

          "I would've gone for 2" -- Carolina coach John Fox when asked what he
          thought of Justin Timberlake exposing Janet Jackson's breast
        • wimpds
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004

            > Apparently, coach has noticed a downturn in his effectiveness after
            > 20-30 minutes.

            That's what seems so confusing. His average value is so high, could
            his marginal value really be that low? I don't know if he's had many
            big minute games, but it would be interesting to see his value graphed
            against his minutes. I don't know where one gets public game by game
            data.
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
              Try this:

              http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3599/gamelog

              You might look for not only effectiveness beyond 30 minutes, but
              after zero games rest, etc.

              Mo Taylor really isn't that much of a dropoff, after Yao. It's
              quite possible he's more effective than Yao when he's winded.

              --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "wimpds" <wimpds@y...> wrote:
              > .. His average value is so high, could
              > his marginal value really be that low? I don't know if he's had
              many
              > big minute games, but it would be interesting to see his value
              graphed
              > against his minutes. I don't know where one gets public game by
              game
              > data.
            • Kevin Pelton
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
                > I don't know if he's had many big minute games, but it would be
                > interesting to see his value graphed against his minutes.

                Here you go:
                http://www.sonicscentral.com/yaominutes.jpg

                I just used the NBA's Efficiency/Manley Credits; that's enough
                accuracy for a single game and typing in JohnH's formula takes too
                long.

                The black line represents what that graph would look like if Yao
                were perfectly consistent. We can see in his very highest minute
                games he's much below the line ... but other than that not much of a
                pattern.

                Numerically ...

                First I split Yao into above-average and below-average games in
                terms of minutes:

                MPG/PPG/RPG/FG%/FT%
                37.1/18.3/10.9/.527/.725
                27.7/13.9/7.3/.537/.835

                on a per-minute basis:
                P48/R48/EFF48
                23.7/14.1/28.9
                24.2/12.8/30.0

                Then I took his highest-minute games, 37 minutes and above:

                40.0 mpg
                19.0 ppg/22.8 p48
                12.3 rpg/14.7 rp48
                .530 fg%
                .701 free throws

                So Yao appears to be a better rebounder but a worse scorer when he
                plays heavy minutes, for what it's worth.
              • bchaikin@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
                  In a message dated 2/3/2004 8:06:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, kpelton08@... writes:

                  http://www.sonicscentral.com/yaominutes.jpg

                  this graph appears to show that in about 1/3 of his games yao ming played 35 or more minutes. he commits fouls at only about 10 per 100 minutes, not unusual for a big man, and about the same as these players who all average more min/g - brian grant, kenyon martin, amare stoudemire, kurt thomas, juwon howard, and i'm sure there are a few others. considering yao ming is as productive (if not more) on both ends of the floor than most if not all of these players, i'm guessing the true reason he does not play more minutes is van gundy simply limiting the floor time of a key but none-the-less 2nd year player....

                  it'd be nice to know if he plays most of every 4th qtr, that would be telling evidence that van gundy is indeed saving him for crunch time. maybe roland over at 82games.com keeps track of players' minutes by quarter...

                  bob chaikin
                  bchaikin@...
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 6, 2004
                    I know for a fact there have been games where he's gone with Taylor
                    the entire fourth quarter.

                    One interesting thing with a study like this is the chicken vs. egg
                    question -- if we show he plays just as well with more minutes, does
                    that mean that it's a genuine fact, or does it mean that Van Gundy
                    doesn't play him a lot of minutes if he sees that Yao is playing like
                    crap?

                    > In a message dated 2/3/2004 8:06:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    > kpelton08@h... writes:
                    >
                    > > http://www.sonicscentral.com/yaominutes.jpg
                    > >

                    > this graph appears to show that in about 1/3 of his games yao ming
                    played 35
                    > or more minutes. he commits fouls at only about 10 per 100 minutes,
                    not
                    > unusual for a big man, and about the same as these players who all
                    average more
                    > min/g - brian grant, kenyon martin, amare stoudemire, kurt thomas,
                    juwon howard,
                    > and i'm sure there are a few others. considering yao ming is as
                    productive (if
                    > not more) on both ends of the floor than most if not all of these
                    players, i'm
                    > guessing the true reason he does not play more minutes is van gundy
                    simply
                    > limiting the floor time of a key but none-the-less 2nd year
                    player....

                    > it'd be nice to know if he plays most of every 4th qtr, that would
                    be telling
                    > evidence that van gundy is indeed saving him for crunch time. maybe
                    roland
                    > over at 82games.com keeps track of players' minutes by quarter...
                    >
                    > bob chaikin
                    > bchaikin@b...
                  • igor eduardo küpfer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 6, 2004
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 6, 2004

                        Er, here I am referring to the score difference at the end of 3 quarters,
                        which I took to be indicative of the closeness of the game.

                        ed
                      • McKibbin, Stuart
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 6, 2004
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 6, 2004
                            There's strong support for a conventional story in those stats:

                            close game at end of 3rd quarter ==> big 4th quarter minutes for Yao
                            blowout game at end of 3rd quarter ==> small 4th quarter minutes for Yao

                            I took the absolute value of the 3rd quarter lead/deficit, and regressed Yao's 4th quarter minutes against that. Even with only 13 observations, the regression statistics support the conventional hypothesis (indeed, as Ed points out, simply eyeballing the numbers, this jumps out at you).

                            The regression equation is

                            4th qtr mins = 10.55 - .38*abs(lead)

                            i.e. for every point by which Houston's lead or deficit grows, Yao's minutes diminish by .38 minutes. With a 28 point lead or deficit, we'd expect Yao to play 0 minutes (and lo and behold, in Game 3 Houston had a 29 point deficit and Yao sat).

                            The t-statistic on the estimated coefficient of -.38 is -3.31, with a significance level of p = 0.7%, i.e. significant at better than the 1% level. Pretty good for a sample size of 13. The adjusted r-squared from the regression is .45.

                            This regression benefits from what might be aguably a statistical outlier, that 29-point Game 3 blowout. If we leave that out of the regression, the coefficient estimate stays at around the same value, -.43, but the adjusted r-squared falls to .16 and the t-statistic is -1.77, significant at only the p = 10.7% level.

                            So Game 3 probably makes these results look overly conclusive. On the other hand, it is almost certainly too drastic to literally throw out Game 3, a baby-with-the-bathwater move. Game 3 does provide support for the notion that big leads cause small minutes for Yao, so to totally ignore Game 3 is not a wise course.

                            The regression might be further strengthened by correcting for censoring; it's physically impossible for Yao to play more than 12 minutes in the 4th quarter, and the data around the regression line thus hit a ceiling and flatten out at 12 minutes, making the estimated regression line probably flatter than it should be. And thus our estimates will be a little too low and seemingly lacking in significance.

                            Of course, none of this explains the original question, about why Yao's total minutes are so low. Many other superstars probably get similar 4th quarter treatment (sit during a blowout, play during a close game); why do their minutes per game exceed Yao's by so much?

                            I began a study of this a couple of months ago, but didn't get far. Here's
                            what I have:

                            | YAO'S MINUTES | ROCKET's LEAD
                            GAME | 1 2 3 4 OT | 1 2 3 4 OT
[...]

                            Yahoo! Groups Links