Re: [APBR_analysis] Yao's Conditioning?

  • bchaikin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
      Can somebody explain why Yao Ming doesn't play more minutes?

      Thanks!

      excellent question...

      it's certainly not because he fouls too much.....and he's certainly the best player on the rockets right now...and its not like there's a good productive player backing him up (cato is starting at PF last i checked)... plus the backcourt on that team (francis/mibley) each averages 40 min/g...

      i've often wondered myself why players who are performing and producing well or extremely well don't play more minutes (yao versus lebron james say). limited minutes is typically either a coach's perogative (he's young let's not overdue it, or he has a set sub pattern he likes to use) or a mandate from management (aka zydrunas ilgauskas last season in cleveland)...

      bob chaikin
      bchaikin@...

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
        I think in Yao's case it's more a question of matchups. Certain teams
        can get him in situations where he's chasing guys around the
        perimeter and can't keep up -- or at least that's Van Gundy's
        perspective. In the old days you wouldn't worry about it because he
        could just wreck them in the post at the other end, but with the new
        defense rules it's harder to do that.

        > Can somebody explain why Yao Ming doesn't play more minutes?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > excellent question...
        >
        > it's certainly not because he fouls too much.....and he's certainly
        the best
        > player on the rockets right now...and its not like there's a good
        productive
        > player backing him up (cato is starting at PF last i checked)...
        plus the
        > backcourt on that team (francis/mibley) each averages 40 min/g...
        >
        > i've often wondered myself why players who are performing and
        producing well
        > or extremely well don't play more minutes (yao versus lebron james
        say).
        > limited minutes is typically either a coach's perogative (he's
        young let's not
        > overdue it, or he has a set sub pattern he likes to use) or a
        mandate from
        > management (aka zydrunas ilgauskas last season in cleveland)...
        >

        > bob chaikin
        > bchaikin@b...
      • wimpds
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
          This might be a dumb question, but why wouldn't an opposing coach
          just create those matchups every chance they get? Then they could
          play the whole game without Yao Ming.

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
            I've never seen Yao play; but it stands to reason that he's somewhat
            effective for a few minutes of "chasing guys around", and less
            effective as his minutes progress.

            Apparently, coach has noticed a downturn in his effectiveness after
            20-30 minutes.

            Meanwhile, Maurice Taylor is vying for 6th-Man of the year. Yao,
            Cato, and Taylor are effectively splitting 2 positions.

          • Gary Collard
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
              wimpds wrote:

              > Can somebody explain why Yao Ming doesn't play more minutes?

              Not to mention get more touches...

              --
              Gary Collard
              SABR-L Moderator

              "I would've gone for 2" -- Carolina coach John Fox when asked what he
              thought of Justin Timberlake exposing Janet Jackson's breast
            • wimpds
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004

                > Apparently, coach has noticed a downturn in his effectiveness after
                > 20-30 minutes.

                That's what seems so confusing. His average value is so high, could
                his marginal value really be that low? I don't know if he's had many
                big minute games, but it would be interesting to see his value graphed
                against his minutes. I don't know where one gets public game by game
                data.
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
                  Try this:

                  http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3599/gamelog

                  You might look for not only effectiveness beyond 30 minutes, but
                  after zero games rest, etc.

                  Mo Taylor really isn't that much of a dropoff, after Yao. It's
                  quite possible he's more effective than Yao when he's winded.

                  --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "wimpds" <wimpds@y...> wrote:
                  > .. His average value is so high, could
                  > his marginal value really be that low? I don't know if he's had
                  many
                  > big minute games, but it would be interesting to see his value
                  graphed
                  > against his minutes. I don't know where one gets public game by
                  game
                  > data.
                • Kevin Pelton
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
                    > I don't know if he's had many big minute games, but it would be
                    > interesting to see his value graphed against his minutes.

                    Here you go:
                    http://www.sonicscentral.com/yaominutes.jpg

                    I just used the NBA's Efficiency/Manley Credits; that's enough
                    accuracy for a single game and typing in JohnH's formula takes too
                    long.

                    The black line represents what that graph would look like if Yao
                    were perfectly consistent. We can see in his very highest minute
                    games he's much below the line ... but other than that not much of a
                    pattern.

                    Numerically ...

                    First I split Yao into above-average and below-average games in
                    terms of minutes:

                    MPG/PPG/RPG/FG%/FT%
                    37.1/18.3/10.9/.527/.725
                    27.7/13.9/7.3/.537/.835

                    on a per-minute basis:
                    P48/R48/EFF48
                    23.7/14.1/28.9
                    24.2/12.8/30.0

                    Then I took his highest-minute games, 37 minutes and above:

                    40.0 mpg
                    19.0 ppg/22.8 p48
                    12.3 rpg/14.7 rp48
                    .530 fg%
                    .701 free throws

                    So Yao appears to be a better rebounder but a worse scorer when he
                    plays heavy minutes, for what it's worth.
                  • bchaikin@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
                      In a message dated 2/3/2004 8:06:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, kpelton08@... writes:

                      http://www.sonicscentral.com/yaominutes.jpg

                      this graph appears to show that in about 1/3 of his games yao ming played 35 or more minutes. he commits fouls at only about 10 per 100 minutes, not unusual for a big man, and about the same as these players who all average more min/g - brian grant, kenyon martin, amare stoudemire, kurt thomas, juwon howard, and i'm sure there are a few others. considering yao ming is as productive (if not more) on both ends of the floor than most if not all of these players, i'm guessing the true reason he does not play more minutes is van gundy simply limiting the floor time of a key but none-the-less 2nd year player....

                      it'd be nice to know if he plays most of every 4th qtr, that would be telling evidence that van gundy is indeed saving him for crunch time. maybe roland over at 82games.com keeps track of players' minutes by quarter...

                      bob chaikin
                      bchaikin@...
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 6, 2004
                        I know for a fact there have been games where he's gone with Taylor
                        the entire fourth quarter.

                        One interesting thing with a study like this is the chicken vs. egg
                        question -- if we show he plays just as well with more minutes, does
                        that mean that it's a genuine fact, or does it mean that Van Gundy
                        doesn't play him a lot of minutes if he sees that Yao is playing like
                        crap?

                        > In a message dated 2/3/2004 8:06:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        > kpelton08@h... writes:
                        >
                        > > http://www.sonicscentral.com/yaominutes.jpg
                        > >

                        > this graph appears to show that in about 1/3 of his games yao ming
                        played 35
                        > or more minutes. he commits fouls at only about 10 per 100 minutes,
                        not
                        > unusual for a big man, and about the same as these players who all
                        average more
                        > min/g - brian grant, kenyon martin, amare stoudemire, kurt thomas,
                        juwon howard,
                        > and i'm sure there are a few others. considering yao ming is as
                        productive (if
                        > not more) on both ends of the floor than most if not all of these
                        players, i'm
                        > guessing the true reason he does not play more minutes is van gundy
                        simply
                        > limiting the floor time of a key but none-the-less 2nd year
                        player....

                        > it'd be nice to know if he plays most of every 4th qtr, that would
                        be telling
                        > evidence that van gundy is indeed saving him for crunch time. maybe
                        roland
                        > over at 82games.com keeps track of players' minutes by quarter...
                        >
                        > bob chaikin
                        > bchaikin@b...
                      • igor eduardo küpfer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 6, 2004
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 6, 2004

                            Er, here I am referring to the score difference at the end of 3 quarters,
                            which I took to be indicative of the closeness of the game.

                            ed
                          • McKibbin, Stuart
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 6, 2004
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 6, 2004
                                There's strong support for a conventional story in those stats:

                                close game at end of 3rd quarter ==> big 4th quarter minutes for Yao
                                blowout game at end of 3rd quarter ==> small 4th quarter minutes for Yao

                                I took the absolute value of the 3rd quarter lead/deficit, and regressed Yao's 4th quarter minutes against that. Even with only 13 observations, the regression statistics support the conventional hypothesis (indeed, as Ed points out, simply eyeballing the numbers, this jumps out at you).

                                The regression equation is

                                4th qtr mins = 10.55 - .38*abs(lead)

                                i.e. for every point by which Houston's lead or deficit grows, Yao's minutes diminish by .38 minutes. With a 28 point lead or deficit, we'd expect Yao to play 0 minutes (and lo and behold, in Game 3 Houston had a 29 point deficit and Yao sat).

                                The t-statistic on the estimated coefficient of -.38 is -3.31, with a significance level of p = 0.7%, i.e. significant at better than the 1% level. Pretty good for a sample size of 13. The adjusted r-squared from the regression is .45.

                                This regression benefits from what might be aguably a statistical outlier, that 29-point Game 3 blowout. If we leave that out of the regression, the coefficient estimate stays at around the same value, -.43, but the adjusted r-squared falls to .16 and the t-statistic is -1.77, significant at only the p = 10.7% level.

                                So Game 3 probably makes these results look overly conclusive. On the other hand, it is almost certainly too drastic to literally throw out Game 3, a baby-with-the-bathwater move. Game 3 does provide support for the notion that big leads cause small minutes for Yao, so to totally ignore Game 3 is not a wise course.

                                The regression might be further strengthened by correcting for censoring; it's physically impossible for Yao to play more than 12 minutes in the 4th quarter, and the data around the regression line thus hit a ceiling and flatten out at 12 minutes, making the estimated regression line probably flatter than it should be. And thus our estimates will be a little too low and seemingly lacking in significance.

                                Of course, none of this explains the original question, about why Yao's total minutes are so low. Many other superstars probably get similar 4th quarter treatment (sit during a blowout, play during a close game); why do their minutes per game exceed Yao's by so much?

                                I began a study of this a couple of months ago, but didn't get far. Here's
                                what I have:

                                | YAO'S MINUTES | ROCKET's LEAD
                                GAME | 1 2 3 4 OT | 1 2 3 4 OT
[...]

                                Yahoo! Groups Links