Re: Jordan effect, by position

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      Mike --

      Efficiency-wise, MJ made quite a few players better. BJ Armstrong,
      Steve Kerr, Horace Grant, Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, etc. Sure, he
      took possessions from them -- you want him to -- but he took the
      defense away from those other guys, making it a lot easier for them to
      score.

      I looked at it in the book. In general, great players make _some_
      teammates better. They don't necessarily make all of them better, nor
      do they make them better all the time. The first MJ retirement was
      useful for Pippen but getting MJ back was good -- Pippen had declined
      in 1993, then needed that time to be The Man in 1994 before being an
      even better 2nd banana by 1996. That was roughly the media take back
      then and it does seem to be borne out fairly well by numbers.

      DeanO
      www.basketballonpaper.com