Re: Team Ratings (adjusted for schedule strength)

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2004
      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "ssims22000" <ssims2@i...>
      > wrote:
      > > The team ratings are updated through Jan. 27. I didn't have
      time
      > > to include a home/away modifier, so all ratings are calculated
      the
      > > same as before.
      >
      > I'm curious whether your ratings add anything beyond what Jeff
      > Sagarin offers:
      >
      > http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nba0304.htm
      >
      > He uses point-differential, rather than off/def efficiencies. It
      > seems to me a team's scoring differential is going to be equivalent
      > to their efficiency differential. Whether they are better on
      > offense or on defense is another matter; but whether team A is
      > better than team B, does one need that distinction?

      Sagarin's stuff is a little bit of overkill for the NBA. Doing
      simple evaluation of schedule strength and home/road easily accounts
      for things well enough. Sagarin's evaluation goes above and beyond
      and makes sense for college where varying schedules are huge.

      So, yeah, Sagarin's overall evaluation should be roughly comparable.
      It's just more interesting to look at the offensive and defensive
      ratings separately. Tells a better story.

      DeanO
      www.basketballonpaper.com