Re: [APBR_analysis] Wolves' Chemistry

  • bchaikin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2004
      It certainly seems that Sam is having a career year.  But I think there are other years when I thought he should have been an allstar member; and was the best player excluded, at least once.

      agreed - although outwardly his raw numbers show him having a career year (highest scoring avg, best scoring FG%), his production minute-wise is pretty much identical to what its been for him the last two seasons - very good but not spectacular (he's rebounding a little worse than before and committing a few more fouls). his touches/min, and how often he shoots, passes, gets fouled, etc per ball possession are pretty much the same as the last two years. its just that he's doing it now on a team that won 50 and 51 games the last two seasons, and has one truly great player (garnett) and another that is just an attention getter (sprewell), as opposed to the team he was on (the bucks) the last two seasons that won just 41 and 42 games...

      he's also not the greatest defensive player (worse than average by my book)...

      bob chaikin
      bchaikin@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2004
        I too have Cassell rated higher than at any other point in his
        admittedly underrated career, which is an odd thing for a 34-year-
        old. Sprewell is doing just what he did last year in New York,
        soaking up shots at a very average efficiency level and playing
        defense. But the biggest difference to me is still Garnett's
        improvement from a year ago.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2004
          What I see in Minnesota is this:

          1. Garnett picking up some of the rebounding responsibilities that
          left with Nesterovic (and Olowokandi being better off not playing).
          His overall offensive numbers have gone from 27% of possessions used
          with a 113 rating to 30% possessions with a 110 rating. More
          possessions, slightly less efficient. All completely offset by the
          team's improved defense, of which he has played a role (his rating
          went from 98 pts allowed/100 poss to 93).
          2. Sam Cassell playing like Sam always does -- good efficient PG with
          relatively poor D numbers. He used 27% of possessions with Milwaukee
          last year with a rating of 117. He is using 28% with a rating of 116
          this year. As part of a better D, his defensive rating goes from 109
          to 104. It's easier to be a decent defender when you can focus on
          just shutting down perimeter shots and have better defense behind you.
          Sam should have made All-Star Teams before.
          3. The biggest change on this team is defense. The offense is
          slightly improved (and predictably so with the player changes), but
          the D is now shutting down shooters a lot better (without the typical
          foul 'em hard mentality that it usually takes). It is a general
          upgrade at a lot of positions, it seems. Szczerbiak has been out.
          Sprewell is better. Troy Hudson is not playing and Sam is actually
          better. Rasho is gone and KG is getting some of those assignments.
          Trenton Hassell is a good defender. The team allowed 47% effective
          from the field last year and it's down to 45%.

          Yeah, Spree is still doing stupid things offensively and will get
          probably more credit than he deserves if the Wolves continue to do
          well. His D definitely is an upgrade (especially since he's back to
          caring about it), but hopefully no one calls him a star.