Re: [APBR_analysis] Statistical analysis resources (was Re: Shot blockers)

  • PDXWiz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2004
      I also have been working on a list of reference sources. I started it last summer, but distracted myself with a bunch of other projects (becoming a MSN community web page designer went a long way towards eating my time up). My goal was to create as comprehensive a list of basketball books as a could, and read through them, to see how good and useful they could be for different readers---statistical works, biographies, team/league histories, and so on---and different age brackets. I'm working on a short list of naval fiction for a library article right now, but hope to get back to the basketball booklist this year. My 'short' list so far has 654 titles--some statistical, but mostly of the story-telling variety. (And every title I add to the list has it's own bibliography, therefore expanding my research horizons...) The last two I'd read were Bijan's excellent Sky Kings: Black Pioneers of Professional Basketball, and Charley Rosen's well-detailed and very absorbing The Wizard of Odds: How Jack Molinas Almost Destroyed the Game of Basketball.

      Gordon