Re: (yet another) article

  • nick_scholtz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2004
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "roland_beech" <roland@t...>
      wrote:

      > more importantly though, I'm always impressed by the knowledge in
      > this group and would be happy to hear suggestions for new research
      > ideas (understanding it may take a while to get to things...until
      > the NFL season ends I've got split responsibilities)
      >
      > Even better, if you have a research project you want to undertake on
      > your own using the 82games type data then drop us a line and we'd
      > probably be happy to get you some stats in return for submitting an
      > article with your findings, etc to be published on the site

      I posted this in another thread, but I thought I'd repeat it.

      I think it could be an interesting article to look at the question of,
      "if your team could beat their opponent in one statistical category
      (other than points) which one would have the highest winning
      percentage?"

      The example I gave was to look at team's winning percentage in games
      where:

      1) They have more rebounds than the opponent.
      2) They have more FTA than the opponent.
      3) They have fewer TO's than the opponent.
      4) They have more assists than the opponent.

      Obviously many games will fall into more than one category, and I
      don't know how you'd want to handle that. I also don't know if the
      results will be consistant from team to team, or if they are team
      dependent.

      I would be interested in working on this but I don't currently have
      any good method for doing data analysis. Everything I've done lately
      has just been based on loading the data into MySQL and manipulating it
      in the database. That's sufficient for some things but far from ideal.

      Nick Scholtz