Offensive production value of NBA players

  • Franklin X
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2003
      Hi, new to the board. Interested in if anybody has done, or knows of
      anyone who has done research into determining the offensive
      production of NBA players based on the statistics available from box
      scores.

      There is quite a science when it comes to sabermetrics of baseball
      players, but not much when it comes to basketball. Sure, it is a
      different game, and probably easier to do so with baseball.

      But I would like be able to get a general idea on how to rate the
      offensive production of an NBA player. How do assists, fg%, ft%, 3-
      pt%, points scored, offensive/defensive rebounds, blocked shots,
      steals and turnovers all fit into the equation if there is one.

      For example, how valuable are assists. I mean the only reason you
      get an assist is because someone else made a shot that you have no
      control over. But some assists help more than others, but it's not
      easy to measure it.

      Any input on the subject? Hope i stated this clearly.

      vr,

      Xeifrank