Another one...

  • Andy Finkelstein
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2003
      ... for Kirilenko tonight, one of those 5x5's we were discussing earlier
      in the week (10 pts, 12 rebs, 6 asts, 6 stls, 5 blks) in Utah's 22-pt
      win over the hapless Knicks, in case no one caught it.

      That's all...

      - Andy
    • Mikey Stewart
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2003
        Actually, this is a great instance of a player turning in a junk stat
        without playing a particularly good game (though I never thought I'd be
        saying this about Kirilenko, who can usually be counted on to turn
        in a superb game).

        Kirilenko filled out the box score, but he also shot pretty badly, needing
        12 fga and 4 free throws to get those 10 points. I'm curious as to how
        people's individual game systems rate his game tonight compared to those
        of teammates Matt Harpring and Greg Ostertag (who certainly appear to have
        been more responsible for the Jazz's victory), and even Raja Bell (14
        points in 20 minutes).

        Mikey

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2003
          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Mikey Stewart <mlstewar@f...>
          wrote:
          > Actually, this is a great instance of a player turning in a junk
          stat
          > without playing a particularly good game (though I never thought
          I'd be
          > saying this about Kirilenko, who can usually be counted on to turn
          > in a superb game).
          >
          > Kirilenko filled out the box score, but he also shot pretty badly,
          needing
          > 12 fga and 4 free throws to get those 10 points. I'm curious as
          to how
          > people's individual game systems rate his game tonight compared to
          those
          > of teammates Matt Harpring and Greg Ostertag (who certainly appear
          to have
          > been more responsible for the Jazz's victory), and even Raja Bell
          (14
          > points in 20 minutes).

          Kirilenko is a guy who will give you a good game even when he isn't
          making his shots. What does Harpring bring, when he isn't hitting?
          What does Ostertag do when he can't find a rebound?

          Jazz 95, Knicks 73

          . Jazz . Min eff% Sc Rb A S T B - T. TP
          Ostertag. 40 .625 23 14 2 1 5 3 - 38 42
          Harpring. 39 .599 31 10 3 0 0 1 - 47 51
          Kirilenko 36 .388 12 15 7 6 3 5 - 46 46
          Lopez . . 32 .612 20 12 12 1 5 0- 42 38
          Stevenson 26 .459 24 00 0 0 1 0 - 21 15
          Bell .. . 20 .714 36 04 4 0 0 2 - 47 26
          Borchardt 17 .612 08 06 2 0 5 0 - 10 05
          MWilliams 15 .000 00 00 2 0 2 0 - 01 00

          In such a game, all Jazz players' scoring rates are exaggerated by
          the factor 100/73 (standard of 100/Knicks' points); and their
          rebound rates are boosted by 44/37 (37 = Knicks' rebounds).

          So in the 'T' column, 5 players 'look like' superstars for their
          domination in this one game. Bell looked like a superstar for the
          20 minutes he was in.

          TP is the total production looked for in the original question.
          There we see AK right up there behind Harpring (who scored, hardly
          missed, rebounded, and had nary a turnover).

          I guess "contributions" was the concept being put forward:
          Positives minus negatives.

          Kirilenko's scoring rate of 12.2 is greater than his actual output
          of 10. He's docked for his .388 shooting, and that's more than
          offset by his 'defensive credit', holding NY to 73.