Re: John Hollinger's PER ratings in the mix

  • roland_beech
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
      > One of the things that is hard to define in doing basketball
      analysis
      > is position. There are plenty of guys that effectively play one
      > position on one side of the court and another on the other. There
      > are also the hybrid guys like Pippen, Flip Murray, hell, nearly
      the
      > entire Sonics team is hybrid -- how do you define your positions?
      >
      > DeanO

      Defining positions is undoubtedly very tricky in some instances, and
      with the zone defenses even more so when trying to allocate
      positional resposibiliy on the defensive side.

      Basically we align a team's roster into who takes precedent at a
      given position if both are on the floor at the same time, but this
      is as you point out suspect on a number of rosters.

      Moreover roles can change within the course of a game.

      Having said that, the basic goal of these numbers is to generalize
      the kind of performance at a position for a team versus the
      counterpart player on the other side. In that regard I think the
      numbers are reasonably effective, particuarly over an 82 game
      schedule.