Re: Kirilenko

  • Kevin Pelton
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 6, 2003
      > General agreement with statements about usefulness (or lack
      > thereof) of pop stats like triple-double. I don't know if I'd
      > phrase it as harshly. Most people really don't care about being
      > precisely accurate, so if a triple double usually is a good
      > indicator of a good game, it's ok to use it that way.

      I would maybe call them "fun stats", because while they don't have
      much analytical value, they're fun/interesting to look at and add to
      our enjoyment of the game. If they don't actively detract from
      analysis -- and I don't think triple-doubles or 50-point games do,
      though "categories" like 20-10 players and guys averaging double-
      doubles can -- then I think they're a good thing.

      Plus junk stats are quite useful when I'm doing postgame notes. How
      many times do you think I've used DeanO's stuff for that?

      > One thing that has impressed me is the media's use of OPS in
      > baseball. Now there is a complicated concept for traditional media
      > to use. It even involves addition! Seriously, it really is more
      > about acceptance of a scale (OPS of over 1.0 is very good, for
      > example) and acceptance that a number is something real -- not an
      > arbitrary mix of numbers. Quarterback rating being a prominent
      > exception. I do think the media could end up using TENDEX or PER
      > or Floor % or Offensive and Defensive Ratings in a couple years.

      Does anyone know when stat types started using OPS? It predates my
      interest in baseball statistics, but it seems like it caught on
      fairly quickly.

      I think TENDEX -- or at least "NBA.com's exclusive efficiency
      rating" -- does have a pretty good chance of catching on. In its
      simple, non-pace form, it's extremely simple to understand, and the
      league itself tracking it has legitimized it for use by the general
      media. (Thus, when I want to get statistical in my work for the
      Sonics and Storm, I always turn to it.) I also tend to think that
      Lauren Jackson leading the league in efficiency per game and per-
      minute, as well as overall, had something to do with her winning
      WNBA MVP despite playing for a non-playoff team (and I made sure to
      emphasize these facts on the LJ for MVP site).
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 6, 2003
        I heard Breem say that too and nearly fell out of my chair.
        Definitely a good sign.

        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gary Collard <gmcollard@e...>

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 8, 2003
          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Pelton"
          <kpelton08@h...> wrote:
          > > (..OPS of over 1.0 is very good,..

          > Does anyone know when stat types started using OPS?

          Am I the only one who doesn't know what "OPS" is ?
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 8, 2003
            > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Pelton"
            > <kpelton08@h...> wrote:
            > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > (..OPS of over 1.0 is very good,..
            >
            > > Does anyone know when stat types started using OPS?
            >
            > Am I the only one who doesn't know what "OPS" is ?

            On base percentage plus slugging percentage.

            I think I only began seeing it in papers and on ESPN regularly this
            past season, so it's definitely excusable.
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8, 2003
              In this Age of Acronyms, we occasionally find these acronyms built
              from things other than single words: phrases, other acronyms.

              It's virtually impossible to guess what they stand for.

              > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G" <msg_53@h...> wrote:
              > > Am I the only one who doesn't know what "OPS" is ?
              >
              > On base percentage plus slugging percentage.

              If you added (R+RBI)/PA to this OPS, you'd have a useful number.
            • igor eduardo küpfer
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8, 2003
                > In this Age of Acronyms, we occasionally find these acronyms built
                > from things other than single words: phrases, other acronyms.
                >
                > It's virtually impossible to guess what they stand for.
                >

                > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...>
                > wrote:
                > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G" <msg_53@h...> wrote:
                > > > Am I the only one who doesn't know what "OPS" is ?
                > >
                > > On base percentage plus slugging percentage.
                > >

                > If you added (R+RBI)/PA to this OPS, you'd have a useful number.

                OPS actually works incredibly well, given its simplicity. Runs and RBIs are
                generally disregarded by sabremetricians because they are team, not player,
                stats, and as such, too context dependent to be much use.

                A full exploration of the philosophical implications of OPS is given in
                "Moneyball," which I urge everyone on this list to read. It is balm for the
                stathead soul.

                ed
              • Charlie Board
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
                  <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
                  > I heard Breem say that too and nearly fell out of my chair.
                  > Definitely a good sign.

                  Probably, but maybe not if the phrase "offensive efficiency"
                  gets co-opted to some other measurement than the ones we
                  use it for. Which I suspect is the case here since Ed's page
                  shows Minnesota towards the middle-of-the-pack in offensive
                  efficiency
                  ( http://members.rogers.com/strudel/deleteable/NBA03-04.htm )

                  > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gary Collard <gmcollard@e...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > At the start of the Min-Sac game last night, the play by play guy
                  > (Breen?)
                  > > said that the Kings lead the NBA in offensive efficiency. I'm not
                  > sure if
                  > > he was talking about Offensive Rating, Eff FG%, or maybe just PPG
                  > or FG%.
                  > > Whatever he meant, it was good to hear the phrase escape from the
                  > lips of
                  > > an announcer. He does quite knowledgeable in his game call fwiw,
                  > so maybe
                  > > there is a light on in there.
                • Charlie Board
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
                    --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Board" <cboard@t...> wrote:
                    > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "John Hollinger"
                    > <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
                    > > I heard Breem say that too and nearly fell out of my chair.
                    > > Definitely a good sign.
                    >
                    > Probably, but maybe not if the phrase "offensive efficiency"
                    > gets co-opted to some other measurement than the ones we
                    > use it for. Which I suspect is the case here since Ed's page
                    > shows Minnesota towards the middle-of-the-pack in offensive
                    > efficiency
                    > ( http://members.rogers.com/strudel/deleteable/NBA03-04.htm )

                    Oops, he said the Kings. Nevermiinnnddd....