Re: John Hollinger's PER ratings in the mix

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "roland_beech" <roland@t...>
      wrote:
      > we just added John's PER ratings to the "production by position"
      > team stats, which I think gives an interesting view of how teams
      are
      > doing. The jump page is http://www.82games.com/position.htm
      >
      > As an example, looking at the Kings, and taking their team PER at
      > the position minus the PER against them at that position they come
      > in as:
      >
      > PG +6.1
      > SG -2.9
      > SF +8.2
      > PF +1.7
      > C +0.9

      Roland --

      One of the things that is hard to define in doing basketball analysis
      is position. There are plenty of guys that effectively play one
      position on one side of the court and another on the other. There
      are also the hybrid guys like Pippen, Flip Murray, hell, nearly the
      entire Sonics team is hybrid -- how do you define your positions?

      DeanO
    • roland_beech
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
        > One of the things that is hard to define in doing basketball
        analysis
        > is position. There are plenty of guys that effectively play one
        > position on one side of the court and another on the other. There
        > are also the hybrid guys like Pippen, Flip Murray, hell, nearly
        the
        > entire Sonics team is hybrid -- how do you define your positions?
        >
        > DeanO

        Defining positions is undoubtedly very tricky in some instances, and
        with the zone defenses even more so when trying to allocate
        positional resposibiliy on the defensive side.

        Basically we align a team's roster into who takes precedent at a
        given position if both are on the floor at the same time, but this
        is as you point out suspect on a number of rosters.

        Moreover roles can change within the course of a game.

        Having said that, the basic goal of these numbers is to generalize
        the kind of performance at a position for a team versus the
        counterpart player on the other side. In that regard I think the
        numbers are reasonably effective, particuarly over an 82 game
        schedule.