Re: [APBR_analysis] All-time pro basketball scores

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2001
      On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 lk_maxwell@... wrote:

      > Although I don't have them up on the site just yet, look for my
      > collection of nearly 40,000 pro basketball scores to be posted
      > sometime this weekend at http://www.thescoreproject.org Just click
      > on the scoreboard portion and go from there.
      >
      > I have every NBA game from the 1946-1947 season through the 1982-1983
      > champaign and again from 1990-1991 through 1999-2000. The rest will
      > be completed at some undetermined time in the future -- when I
      > finally get around to it ;).
      >
      > I want to express my thanks to Dick Pfander for providing his
      > collection of data (he did by hand, no less!) for me to input into
      > the database.
      >
      > Please browse the site, join the Yahoo! Groups there, and let me know
      > your thoughts about how to improve the site.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Loren Maxwell

      Thanks for uploading the data. I was confused by the "scoreboard" page --
      maybe some labels or column titles were obscured by same-colored
      background shading. What I saw was 10 boxes, of which 7 seemed to contain
      links to data. 5 of the 7 were labelled "professional" and 2 were
      labelled "college". Inside, each box had what seemed to be a sub-label: x
      games where x was a number from 0 to 36,543. Below that were what
      appeared to be links with labels such as "y seasons" "z teams" etc.

      I have no idea what any of that stuff is. A label such as "NBA", or
      "NCAA", or "NBL", or "1947-2001" -- such a label would give the user a
      hint of what the contents were. But a set of links like this (copied and
      pasted from one of the boxes):

      Professional
      36543 Games
      69 Seasons
      100 Teams
      4 Conferences
      1 Tournaments
      0 Polls

      is impossible to decipher.

      To experiment, I clicked on the "69 seasons" link above, which led to a
      page with labels such as "1999-2000", "1998-1999", etc. There were also
      numbers beside each year, such as '"29", so I presumably was looking at
      NBA data. I could've clicked on one of those links to
      explore further, but I didn't have time to poke around.

      This appears to be a great resource, but better labels on those boxes
      would help immensely.

      --MKT
    • lk_maxwell@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2001
        I know the navigation needs some work, so hang tight and it will be
        coming soon.

        Also, from the sound of things, I am guessing you may be using
        Netscape. Netscape doesn't do so well at recognizing cascading style
        sheets and what is happening is the text appears black on a black
        background, rendering it invisible unless you highlight the cell.
        Unfortunately the site is only optimized for Internet Explorer for
        now, but eventually I will work on making it more friendly to other
        browsers.

        Thanks!

        Loren Maxwell

      • lk_maxwell@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2001
          Actually, I just checked the site in Netscape, and (albiet not
          attractive) it was legible.

          What browser are you using?

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2001
            On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 lk_maxwell@... wrote:

            [...]

            > Netscape. Netscape doesn't do so well at recognizing cascading style
            > sheets and what is happening is the text appears black on a black
            > background, rendering it invisible unless you highlight the cell.

            Ah, the highlighting trick worked. Now I see the basketball, baseball,
            soccer, etc. labels. Thanks.

            --MKT
          • lk_maxwell@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 30, 2001
              I haven't worked on making the site more friendlier to Netscape, but
              I have added some better means of determining what data is being
              viewed, i.e. what sport, what team, what season, etc.

              You may still have to highlight the cells if you are using Netscape,
              but the info is there.

              Loren Maxwell

              > On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 lk_maxwell@h... wrote:
              >
              > [...]
              >
              > > Netscape. Netscape doesn't do so well at recognizing cascading
              style
              > > sheets and what is happening is the text appears black on a black
              > > background, rendering it invisible unless you highlight the
              cell.

              > Ah, the highlighting trick worked. Now I see the basketball,
              baseball,
              > soccer, etc. labels. Thanks.
              >

              > --MKT
            • David Litterer
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 9, 2001
                lk_maxwell@... wrote:

                Did you still need the ASL I scores? I seem to remember you emailing me that
                you bought the book.

                Dave
              • David Litterer
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 9, 2001
                  Sorry for the previous message! It was not meant for the list.

                  Dave