Re: 12/2 Tor at Phi

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003

      > Out of curiosity, I'm curious to hear how people's systems evaluate
      > the 12/2 Toronto at Philly game. Iverson shot 8/32 and scored 35
      > points. Vince Carter was 6/19 for 21 pts with 12 assists. ..

      OK, I have stooped to the challenge.

      Here's my ratings for the players:

      toronto
      -------- PR TP tp2
      Marshall 44 53 38
      Carter . 46 47 43
      Williams 31 30 19
      Bosh . . 28 20 22
      Peterson 31 14 12
      Rose . . 9. 11 10
      Baxter . 20 7. 10
      Moiso .. 8. 3. 4.
      Curry .. 8. 3. 3.
      -----------------
      raptors 28 189 161

      PR is "production rate", per-36-minutes. Rates are scaled to the
      opponents' averages; in this case, a single opponent.

      TP is "total production", reconstituted from the PR and the guy's
      minutes.

      tp2 is just raw totals, weighted and added.

      philly
      --------- PR TP tp2
      Iverson . 40 52 48
      Thomas .. 31 33 30
      Mckie . . 18 17 16
      Snow .. . 12 13 13
      Jackson . 37 12 13
      Salmons . 16 11 12
      Dalembert 19 11 12
      Mccaskill 12 4. 5.
      Buckner . 4. 1. 1.
      Korver .. 1. .3 .3
      -------------------
      sixers .. 24 154 149

      The team PR is figured the same as that of players; then /5

      For the teams (Toronto won 95-88), I might like to see the sum in
      the PR column be proportional to the points scored. But 189/95 =
      1.99
      And 154/88 = 1.75

      Therefore, players for the winning team are getting more credit for
      their contributions than the losers are. About 12% more.

      The 3rd column is one I've never used before. It uses the same
      weights as the "standardized" rates, but is otherwise just raw
      totals. They turn out to be Exactly proportional to the score.

      161/95 = 1.696 = 149/88

      I have uploaded the Excel spreadsheet to the Files section:

    • harlanzo
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003

        >. I can't believe Philly is
        > below 0.500 and leading their division by a game and a half.
        >
        > DeanO

        The only team in the Atlantic Division with more points scored than
        its opposition is the 7-11 and nets.
      • hpanic7342
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2003
          I ran a least-squares regression of offense and defense (as measured
          per possession, not per game) against winning percentage, using data
          from games prior to last night, and got the following formula:

          exp win% = 0.0347137*offense - 0.0304208*defense + 0.1093041

          I think that this is better than a straight up multiplier*(point
          differential) formula because it takes into account the fact that
          offense has been a better predictor of winning than defense this
          season. The year-end number of wins for a team given what we already
          have this season should be

          year-end expected wins = (win%)*(games) + (exp win%)*(82-games)

          Where exp win% is as defined above, win% is a team's winning
          percentage up to now, and games is the number of games a team has
          already played. Here are what this formula predicts the year-end
          standings will be (of course, I rounded wins to the nearest integer):

          ATLANTIC
          1. New Jersey (40-42)
          2. Philadelphia (40-42)
          3. Boston (37-45)
          4. Washington (31-51)
          5. New York (30-52)
          6. Miami (22-60)
          7. Orlando (15-67)

          CENTRAL
          1. Indiana (58-24)
          2. Detroit (55-27)
          3. New Orleans (51-31)
          4. Milwaukee (47-35)
          5. Toronto (31-51)
          6. Atlanta (27-55)
          7. Cleveland (25-57)
          8. Chicago (18-64)

          MIDWEST
          1. Dallas (55-27)
          2. Denver (52-30)
          3. Minnesota (50-32)
          4. Houston (48-34)
          5. San Antonio (47-35)
          6. Utah (45-37)
          7. Memphis (39-43)

          PACIFIC
          1. LA Lakers (66-16)
          2. Sacramento (65-17)
          3. Golden State (44-28)
          4. Seattle (43-39)
          5. Portland (40-42)
          6. Phoenix (37-45)
          7. LA Clippers (33-49)

          The wins and losses don't match up, but there are some remarkable
          results here. No Atlantic team is on pace to break .500, and only
          one Midwestern team is on pace to be below that mark. Also, note
          that EVERY TEAM from the West appears to be on pace to beat the #8
          playoff seed in the East (on pace to be Toronto). This is amazing.

          Of course, the formula given by the regression model for expected
          winning percentage should change slightly every day, and Chicago,
          Toronto, Memphis, and Portland have obviously made roster changes
          that will affect the way that they play offense and defense, but
          there's some pretty interesting information here. Does anyone else
          here think that the Atlantic (and the East in general) will continue
          to be this bad?

          Mikey

          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...>