Re: Most Improved Players from last year,

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "wimpds" <wimpds@y...> wrote:
      > If a team has played 20 games how does a guy who's played 360
      minutes
      > in 10 games compare to a guy who's played 720 minutes in 20
      games?

      I'd call them equal, in the scale that purports to measure
      how "productive" they are.

      "Productivity", as I use the term, implies production on a per-
      minute basis, within a scoring/rebounding milieu.

      "Production", on the other hand is what I'd use to predict/suggest
      an MVP, an all-league player, and it's very minutes-dependant.

      After I've got my "standardized" (relative to arbitrary standards,
      like 100 pts, 44 rebounds, per game) rates for a player, I often
      multiply by minutes to get their "equivalent production". It's kind
      of like reconstituting dried food.

      That number is really just their raw totals, adjusted for the
      relative abundance of pts and reb.