Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Raptor Anomaly

  • igor eduardo küpfer
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
      From: "John Hollinger" <alleyoop2@...>
      To: <APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 9:45 PM
      Subject: [APBR_analysis] Re: Raptor Anomaly

      > I agree, Rose is grossly overrated and basically inferior to
      > Peterson. The only guy in that trade who isn't grossly overpaid is
      > Marshall.
      >
      > But I think one way Jalen could help is if the Raptors play him at
      > point guard and bag the Williams/Palacio combo, at least until Alvin
      > can play without a limp. One reason their offense has been so bad is
      > that O'Neill has been sticking with Michael Curry and an injured
      > Alvin Williams in the starting lineup, so a Rose-Carter-Marshall-Bosh-
      > Moiso could potentially score quite a bit more.

      Alvin looks healthy now. Rose's role is presumably to shoot the ball, and
      handle the ball a little. The Raps' entire offense consists of giving Vince
      Carter the ball and asking him to do something. Since about game 4 when
      opponents figured this out, teams have been double- and triple-teaming
      Vince, leaving one guy in the paint waiting for him, weakside players
      sagging off their guys in anticipation of helping on Vince. Since no other
      Raptor can shoot (except for Lamond Murray, who started the year poorly),
      this makes for a very bad offense. Rose and Marshall will be asked to shoot
      when Carter dumps off. They looked good in their first game, a win tonight
      against the Sixers.

      ed
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
        <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
        > I agree, Rose is grossly overrated and basically inferior to
        > Peterson. The only guy in that trade who isn't grossly overpaid is
        > Marshall.
        >
        > But I think one way Jalen could help is if the Raptors play him at
        > point guard and bag the Williams/Palacio combo, at least until Alvin
        > can play without a limp. One reason their offense has been so bad is
        > that O'Neill has been sticking with Michael Curry and an injured
        > Alvin Williams in the starting lineup, so a Rose-Carter-Marshall-Bosh-
        > Moiso could potentially score quite a bit more.

        I don't know who overrates Rose anymore. He's taken his lumps. He
        was dramatically overrated. Now people see him a little better, I think.

        All in all, though, Toronto got a good deal here. They were
        desperately lacking guys who could create outside of Carter. Rose can
        do that, albeit not very efficiently, but he still helps his teammates
        in this situation, whereas Chicago really couldn't use him. Also,
        Toronto's D behind Bosh is quite good, allowing Rose to fit better.
        So this is a case where the chemistry gets better in Toronto.

        Chicago is still unclear to me, as they were at the start of the
        season. They still have some signs of improvement and some signs of
        pure garbage. I've never liked Jamal Crawford like everyone else
        does, though he did have a great game the other night -- kinda like
        Rose, actually, in his ups and downs. Curry does look like he'll have
        a better year. Skiles is a good coach, so maybe he can blend these
        guys together.