Charting defensive stops

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2001
      With the season upon us, I'd like to turn to measuring some new
      stats. I have posted under Files a spreadsheet that I often print
      out for tracking some other defensive stats while watching a game.
      Basically, who forces another guy to miss. Who forces a turnover but
      doesn't get credit for it with a steal. Who fouls Shaq and puts him
      to the line where he misses 2 foul shots. Who allows a made shot or
      fouls a guy who makes 2 shots. Those kind of things. I did this for
      probably 10 games last year and, though insightful, it is not enough
      to tell much of a story yet.

      Since my time is completely booked until 11/19, I'd like to encourage
      other people out there to record these numbers from games. You can
      do it from TV. I don't find it that hard, though it can be hard to
      make them match up with official stats, which is why I do it with the
      internet stats (usually Yahoo or Sportsline) running at the same time.

      Defense is our biggest statistical hole right now. The players we
      rate as top defenders often have no stats to support it. Stuart's
      tracking of Iverson stuff in the Finals was a great piece of work,
      but also a huge piece of work. I don't think we need to go to that
      extent to do better than the NBA's official stats. Nor do I think
      what's in my sheet captures near as much as what Stuart did, but it's
      a start.

      Give it a shot. I'd like to hear back. (I don't know how much the
      zone rules may make this more difficult. Ugh.)