Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Shaqtest failure

  • Daniel Dickey
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
      I'm guessing Shaq is playing more minutes per game than Andre, and the PER
      is a per minute type stat - so it wouldn't distinguish that too much.
      Andre's per 48 stats probably compare pretty well to Shaq's.

      >From: "harlanzo" <harlanzo@...>
      >To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [APBR_analysis] Re: Shaqtest failure
      >Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:56:53 -0000
      >
      >--- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "John Hollinger"
      ><alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
      > > I agree.
      > >
      > > Some background: I had Shaq No. 1 for like six years in a row, and
      > > last year McGrady finally beat him. This year he's nowhere close
      > > what he had done before, and I don't think it's just b/c of fewer
      > > touches. His FG percentage is lower, his turnovers haven't gone
      >down
      > > in proportion to his shots -- in fact he's making more, per
      >minute --
      > > and his foul shooting is as bad as ever.
      > >

      >That's true. Kobe, Malone, and Payton all have gone down a little
      >this year but no where near what shaq has. Shaq is down 7.6 ppg
      >this year yet he is the only player of the four not to raise his fg%
      >with the fewer attempts. I just wrote about this:
      >
      >http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/qt7.htm
      >
      >I'd just cut and pasted the results but the chart came out funny on
      >this site.

      Is there a gadget-lover on your gift list? MSN Shopping has lined up some
      good bets! http://shopping.msn.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Dickey"
        <danthestatman@h...> wrote:
        > I'm guessing Shaq is playing more minutes per game than Andre, and
        the PER
        > is a per minute type stat - so it wouldn't distinguish that too
        much.
        > Andre's per 48 stats probably compare pretty well to Shaq's.

        Kirilenko is actually playing about 1.2 more mpg than Shaq.

        In fewer minutes, Shaq tops AK by 3.4 rebounds and 2.6 points, per
        game.

        Andre beats Shaq in steals, 1.9 to 0.4, and in Eff%, .614 to .543

        I suspect John H puts more weight on shooting % than I do.

        While I am at it, here's my Top 25 (updated just minutes ago):

        rate player . . team sco reb ast
        47.2 Garnett,Kevin Min 25 14 5
        45.5 Duncan,Tim SA 28 13 3
        41.8 O'Neal,Jermaine Ind 24 12 3
        40.5 Davis,Baron NO 25 5 9
        38.5 Kidd,Jason NJ 19 7 11
        38.0 O'Neal,Shaquille LAL 23 12 3
        36.9 Mcgrady,Tracy Orl 25 5 6
        36.8 Iverson,Allen Phi 27 3 6
        36.5 Randolph,Zach Por 23 13 3
        36.5 Pierce,Paul Bos 24 7 6
        36.2 Kirilenko,Andrei Uta 21 9 3
        36.1 Ming,Yao Hou 22 11 2
        35.8 Martin,Kenyon NJ 22 10 2
        35.0 Carter,Vince Tor 26 5 5
        34.7 Stojakovic,Predr Sac 27 6 2
        34.4 Bryant,Kobe LAL 26 4 4
        34.1 Artest,Ron Ind 23 6 4
        34.0 Abdur-Rahim,Shar Atl 22 10 3
        33.9 Malone,Karl LAL 18 11 5
        33.4 Billups,Chauncey Det 23 4 6
        33.3 Redd,Michael Mil 24 6 3
        33.0 Miller,Brad Sac 15 10 5
        32.7 Ginobili,Emanuel SA 19 6 6
        32.5 Richardson,Jason GS 21 9 3
        32.5 Cassell,Sam Min 21 3 8

        So who thinks Shareef will finally get to an allstar game? He's
        certainly among the top 12 players in the East; but there is a lot
        of competition at forward.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
          Agree with the sentiments, but Shareef made it two years ago.